sidecar toe in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sidecar toe in

By the way Eric thanks for your reply. On to my next question how much toe in for a 47 Indian with Indian sidecar? I've checked the internet and see anywhere form 1/4" to over 2 1/2" right now I'm at 1 7/8" first bolt up. The measurements were taken close to the tires front and rear. Thanks, Charlie

sicar.jpg

I rode a sidecar equipped Panhead for years, but I've never owned an Indian sidecar so I don't know how they are connected. I've attached Indian's instructions for setting up a sidecar to their motorcycle. Indian's instructions look very similar to Harley-Davidson's. On a Harley rig, the bottom front, and rear attachments are fixed. They are a ball joint, but they can't be extended or retracted to created toe-in, or toe-out to any significant degree. Harley, and Indian achieved tracking by leaning the motorcycle with the 3rd control bar. Leaning the motorcycle away from the sidecar has a profound effect on how the rig will track on the road. It should go nice and straight when you have it angled properly. Also, it is extremely important to have a functioning steering damper on your fork. Don't attempt to drive it in traffic without a steering damper.
    Last edited by exeric; 07-28-2018, 08:34 AM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Always get a second opinion
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Charles,

I would settle for a max of 1/2" toe in measured front to rear. Your 1 7/8" is pretty severe, the rig will probably pull hard to the left and scrub the sidecar tire to a nub in no time. Late model books from Harley say 1/2 to 3/4" I believe. I just set up my 24 Chief with sidecar at 1/ 16" toe in and 2* lean to the left. It had a slight drift to the left, so I adjusted the lean a bit, about 1 * still need to run it.

Bottom line, if you can get 0- 1/2" toe in and 2* lean to the left, it should go pretty well down the road.

To check the toe in, you need 2 straight edges. One must touch the left side of the front and rear tires, 2 places on each tire. This tells you the rear wheel is in line with the front, have to get this right first! The second straight edge must touch the sidecar tire in 2 places and be the same length as the left side straight edge. I sit the straight edges on bricks so they are off the floor a bit and hit above the bulge in the tire. Now measure the distance between them at the front, then the rear of the bike. The front should be narrower, giving toe in.

Bottom line, ride it and adjust as you go. On a flat, no crowned surface at constant speed with no wind, (never happens) the rig should go straight. If it pulls to the right (most common) then lean the bike to the left a bit or add more toe in. Also, even with a steering damper, hang on, it will wobble at low speed, so get moving and up to speed, it will settle down.

Sidecars are great for attracting kids, dogs and old ladies!

Gene Harper

Comment

You couldn't get a better opinion on sidecars, than from Gene. Most people are content with one sidecar rig, I think Gene has 4, so he definitely knows what he's talking about.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Sidecars are definitely a learned art. All of the above, plus "empty or loaded?" Carrying a passenger will make a difference you can feel in motion in any sidecar. Most sidecars, you could say, are built for about a 100#-150# passenger. A young lady. Exceed that and you'll likely feel it at the handlebars. Like pulling an anchor, a chore. Set up your lean for the load you'll normally carry.

I measure the distance between the fore-and-aft straightedges across the vehicle at the axles, about 3/4 or one inch at-most across, right at the front and rear axles. At normal loads, that should be plenty. The short-wheelbase tripod will "shake its head" as it leaves a stop, but soon your body learns, and compensates, and you literally can't feel your body's automatic response and it goes away.

"Two in a row,
            One on the side
            And all on the ground.
            Most of the time!"

Quite my favorite means of motorvatin' down the highway.

Dozens of sidecars over 44 years.
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Working...
            X