Neracar Start Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neracar Start Up

Trying o get the neracar started for the first time this week. Its a 2 cycle type motor and the original manual recommends Mobiloil B, quaker state medium or Oilzum Heavy to mix with gas. Are these still available or what is the modern equivalent ?? Its a 8 to 1 mix for breaking in.
    Also, the crankcase also requires oil but I can find what type ?
    anyone have any ideas or experience with these ??
    I have a few other questions if anyone out there has a neracar.
    thanks and thanks those who gave the ultimate sacrifice !
    Dan

Dan, I would think a quality, modern 2 stroke oil would be the best way to go as it is purpose formulated for 2 stroke motors. In regards to the crankcase, I was talking to a friend who believes a multi-viscosity synthetic oil should be superior to the oils originally used in our ancient machines. . . Just something to think about
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

They are referring to motorcycle oil not 2 stroke oil. Friends Cleveland said 60 w oil for mix so carburetor would work properly, yours could be a different viscosity.

Comment

Wouldn't you want to run 2 stroke oil in a 2 stroke engine? I've always heard that 4 stroke oil is not designed to burn like 2 stroke oil and will smoke, and carbon up a 2 stroke motor. They may have used conventional oil in those days, but is that because they didn't have anything better? I'm only asking because I don't know
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

My experience has been that you need a mineral oil as specified by the manufacturer.
          Guys with rebuilt Villiers motors come to me saying I've spent all this money rebuilding this motor and it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
          First question is "What oil are you using" If the answer is modern 2 stroke my reply is "there's your problem"
          Old two stroke motors rely on the oil in the mixture to provide a film that as well as lubricating the bearings, seals the crankcase and retains the important crankcase pressure.
          If you want to use modern oils you need to fit modern seals as most of these modern two stroke oils don't have the surface tension to retain the crankcase pressure at levels that are required.
          This is the typical equation of where if you want to use modern tech in an old motor you need to also bring that old motor up to the tech that the product was designed to operate under.
          I'm not saying your 2 stroke won't operate with modern oils just that it will go so much better with the oil it was designed to operate with.
          The amount of guys who have left my place being just amazed at how good their Villiers really was and that all it took was the correct oil and a bit of carb tuning.
          As an aside if you do use a mineral oil you will develop what ,even back in the day, we called the "two stroke shake".
          What's that you ask? Because mineral oils tend to separate when standing you mount your motorcycle and give it vigorous side to side shake to ensure the petrol/oil mix is thoroughly mixed prior to starting.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

You are a treasure, Peter.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Priceless Info, Tommo!

Who wants my (Famous James) Villiers?

Gotta take it all.

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-28-2018, 04:28 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I should have also said that if the application is of the crankshaft to bush type the clearance needs to enough to allow a film of oil in and also have a very coarse crosshatch finish so as much oil as possible is retained.
                Start using modern clearances and you'll run into trouble.
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                X