Changing brakes on late model Sidecar frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing brakes on late model Sidecar frame

How difficult Can mechanical brakes be added to a 58 later Harley sidecar frame.

I believe the backing plates can be switched, but you won't have way to mount the cross-over shaft. People mentioned a homemade cable used to operate the lever when I asked the question a while back.
    VPH-D

Comment

Quite a bit of fabrication in building the left end of the crossover shaft housing, that was chopped-off by the MoFo MoCo in 1958. A friend of mine is planning that, tho. He wants to attach a 60 LE, the only sidecar frame he has, to his rigid-frame Panhead. His fabrication skills are sufficient and he has my 37 sidecar to go by, but it's still in the dreaming phase.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

i have a 46 sidecar frame that i will be removing rear mount like the 58 and later....not sure if i am ready to cut it up just yet, but if i do would that casting work for you? making a rigid rear mount like the late shovelhead that was attached to the frame at the rear footpeg mount.

Comment

Is that basically it, the cross over shaft housing was cut off on left side . I have none to go by so I would need to know how far the shaft comes out from the casting. And is there any other differences I need to know.

Comment

i have a 46 sidecar frame that i will be removing rear mount like the 58 and later....not sure if i am ready to cut it up just yet, but if i do would that casting work for you?
            The casting wasn't cut off after '58, that is a much later ('79 up) factory mod. The round swingarm bikes still used the mount to attach as well as the early square swingarm bikes. The item in question is the extension of the cross tube that the brake cross shaft was fitted in. Different part.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by mark59 View Post
              i have a 46 sidecar frame that i will be removing rear mount like the 58 and later....not sure if i am ready to cut it up just yet, but if i do would that casting work for you? making a rigid rear mount like the late shovelhead that was attached to the frame at the rear footpeg mount.
              mark59, I could use a portion of the crossover shaft casting if you are planning on cutting up a 46LE frame.
              someone previously shortened the shaft & cut about 6" off the shaft tube casting on one of mine.

Comment

Mark59
                I would rather you trade for the correct frame rather than cut up an original 46 frame, unless its already butchered. like I offered in private message, but if your set on cutting it, I will take any of the original pieces that your removing like you offered. Thanks as I am disabled and can't ride my bike until I getsidecar and brake issues taken care of.
                Also I am looking for any kind of knowledge I doing this. Thanks

Comment

sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by mark59 View Post
                    Robbie is correct, the mount changed in the late seventies, not 58

Comment

I agree with Robbie on trading frames. The rear forging was cut for the 1979 model year for mounting the rear sidecar mount to the rear foot peg mount to the bike frame.

Comment

I forgot to tell everyone thanks for helping me make up my mind. I decided to purchase a 45LE sidecar frame. If was way to much work and a job that a could figure out exactly what needed to be done( after I got the info I needed from other people) but I would have had to pay for all the welding and machining and that put the price and time too high! Now I have a early seventies or late sixties side car frame that looks NOS for sale. The only thing to narrow down the age is the Allen bolts on the clamps that are on the frame.
                        Thanks

Comment

Hi Sidehacker, sorry I didn't get these up sooner, maybe someone else can make use of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidehacker View Post
                            I forgot to tell everyone thanks for helping me make up my mind. I decided to purchase a 45LE sidecar frame. If was way to much work and a job that a could figure out exactly what needed to be done( after I got the info I needed from other people) but I would have had to pay for all the welding and machining and that put the price and time too high! Now I have a early seventies or late sixties side car frame that looks NOS for sale. The only thing to narrow down the age is the Allen bolts on the clamps that are on the frame.
                            Thanks
                            The sidecar frame you are selling has a serial number that gives the year. It is on the front lower sidecar-bike mounting tube about 8" from the arc on the top side. Example: 69le1234

Comment

FNG1,
                              Do you have the rest of the brake assy. for your frame? The mechanical brake sidecars use the complete brake assy. from the big twin springer frontend.

Your frame also has the rear lower mount for the round swingarm bikes. I just wanted to point that out for the viewers.lol

Comment

Working...
                              X