1940's INDIAN Sidecar Gearing Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940's INDIAN Sidecar Gearing Info Needed

I am in the process of installing an original Indian sidecar on a 1947 Chief. The Chief has a stock 74 cubic inch motor with a 25 tooth front sprocket. I am hoping to hear from some current Indian sidecar owner/operators as to what type of gearing you run. Thanks for any help.

G,day motor-officer i have had a 23 and 24 on my outfit for years running Bonnie cams ,i feel 25 is to tall,Hob

Comment

When I pulled mine with my '48 stock 74 c.i. motor I used a 23 drive sprocket with and without a 150 lb.+/- passenger.

Comment

Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
        When I pulled mine with my '48 stock 74 c.i. motor I used a 23 drive sprocket with and without a 150 lb.+/- passenger.
        (haven't been here for a bit), .. The year I got my sidecar I was fortunate enough to acquire a handful of sprockets: 28-tooth, 27-t, 23-t, 22-t, and a 19-t, all good shape. The 19 was meant for the Rocky Mountain Road run of 1993 (?), and with my stock 47
        -74 inch I needed it. ... funny, when I tour the Black Hills I get around on a 23 just fine, but I always worked the heck out of the engine. Flat lands the 23 is okay, unless you get a head wind. ..... not sure whether you can still get the 22's and less, ... scout parts?
        happy motoring!

Comment

I am running a 23 tooth on my 48 Runs great and I am in Florida.

Comment

My Grandpa's '48 had a 17 tooth front on it. That was really too low unless you lived in the mountains. I don't. I've worked my way up to a 23 tooth front. Acceleration is fine, and I'd say the rig tops out at about 45-50 without really abusing the engine. Or at least my speedometer reads 50, but is likely a lot less. I think a 23 front is about right for around town.
            - Dana

Comment

Never counted my gear but I also find running between 45-50 is the spot. Any decent hill I'm downshifting.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
              X