Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marty M's article in 340/440 hi-lo switches

Howdy chaps,

Again an awesome article by Marty in our mag. Would like to caution those restoring one of these switches on setting the inside gland nut to low on the threaded shaft thus pulling the switch assembly higher into a housing with a slight inward taper towards its top. I've looked at a number of these switches over the years and to go along with their poor quality was inconsistent manufacturing where the two outside wires are soldered to their terminals. The inside of the housing tapers down to .900 thou and the soldered terminals can project wider resulting in a dead short. Those pictured are .890. This was an NOS switch acquired from Rocky Halter in 1996, mounted and never switched from low beam. Note the outside retaining nut has none of the threaded shaft visible.

Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

I have a 440 and needless to say I do not have the correct dimmer for it. When I found out about how rare they are I started looking at '40 bikes to see what it was. Out of all the ones I've seen, only one had the correct switch. Doesn't change the way it runs so I guess I'll never have one. LOL.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I had a long search for a correct switch for my '40 Chief. Finally found the case, and Toney Watson helped with the guts. As Marty, and Peter have said, cheap switch. For a rider, use the later switch.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Howdy sir,

Needless to say time and attitude would dictate as an old curmudgeon I'd never even bother now but in my 30's then and lazer focused to hang the right baubles on this 440 gotten at great sacrifice I literally pursued pieces like a bounty hunter. Mine had an original fitted that someone had turned off the outside gland nut with a pair of pliers marring serrations and scratching the cover. After scoring this one from Rocky I traded that one to a gentleman I'd harrassed for two years to get the two remaining pieces of original half round fender trim with the correct patina he would take no amount of money for. We've all been there for one of those moments probably.

I only mention this short issue now as some have eliminated the sometimes troublesome fuse arrangement on 440's by direct wiring their system. One flick of that switch and a minute shift of the intervals against the cover results in the Bakelite turning into powder in "short" order from the heat.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

This is great information, maybe this post should be moved from Classified>for sale>Indian to the Indian general forum?
          AMCA # 3233

Comment

Working...
          X