Spare Tire Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Tire Lock

Just putting a hack back on the road after a 40 year sleep. When I put the hack into storage I had two spare tire locks. One NOS with the keys still in the cloth bag attached to the lock and another that I used. Both locks were left in the tub with the wrenches and mounts and are now frozen. I have tried Graphite Lock Ease with no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to free up these locks without damaging them. Help. Thanks, PJ

Originally posted by pjs View Post
    Just putting a hack back on the road after a 40 year sleep. When I put the hack into storage I had two spare tire locks. One NOS with the keys still in the cloth bag attached to the lock and another that I used. Both locks were left in the tub with the wrenches and mounts and are now frozen. I have tried Graphite Lock Ease with no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to free up these locks without damaging them. Help. Thanks, PJ
    PJ!

I would start with a heatlamp and Kroil, and then compressed air to get the particulates out.

Good luck!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

There was a write up in Popular Mechanics about penetrating oils and the one that beat everything, bar none, was a 1:1 mixture of Acetone and Automatic transmission fluid.
      However, you must shake it up every time before use as it tends to separate fairly quickly. Good luck!

Comment

I've used nearly every penetrating fluid on the market. Although I've heard of others having great success with the acetone/ATF mixture, I've found it mostly ineffective.
        I recently unfroze a totally frozen up fork lock, and tried a product from CRC called "Freeze Off". The aerosol product leaves the nozzle at an extremely low temperature, delivering a 'thermal shock'.
        I suggest warming the part thoroughly (even a regular light bulb puts off a lot of heat), then blasting the core of the lock with Freeze Off. Usually, a 'thermal shock' works best for freeing stuck parts.
        My locksmith advises never use WD40 in a lock. Best to use Triflow as a lubricant, as it contains silicone.

Comment

If I can drop the part in a soaking jar, the best luck I have had is a mixture of one part black strap molasses with 6 parts water. This mixture does not harm the finish and takes about a week.
          I also use this mixture and soaking to remove rust on a lot of my parts. This method works very well, but the whole part must be submerged. Again, good luck.

Comment

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I'll begin trying them one at a time. Sounds like I should have success with at least one of them.
            Now, does anyone have a copy of "Setting Up Instructions Single Passenger LE Sidecar" dated 9-17-42" they'd be willin to share?
            Thanks again for all the replies, PJ.

Comment

Working...
            X