Sidecar gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar gearing

Ok, I have my choice of 22 or 23 tooth compensating motor sprocket for a stock 1965 with side hack. What would be the better choice for a 4 speed set up for around town, to those who have been this route. I do not want to stress my cases so I'm leaning towards the 22, however, I am reading that you can further down to 19 teeth in a non-compensating example. It is not my wish to pull the primary apart a dozen times, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks, JM

JM!

My '65 loves its 22, and I had no problem keeping up with the pack of modern machines on the Interstate.
    Our motors like a higher 'powerband' than we might imagine. It hits an aircraft-like sweetspot where it can cruise all day, and still have more for passing semis.

If it doesn't, somethings amiss.

....Cotten
    PS: My memory fades, but I believe I dropped tooth on the transmission countersprocket, too!
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I prefer a 3 speed for around town sidecar gearing.Get into second & go.A lot less shifting. 4 speed never seemed as easy

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
        I prefer a 3 speed for around town sidecar gearing.Get into second & go.A lot less shifting. 4 speed never seemed as easy
        Its personal I guess, Duffey!

Shifting is a bother?

I serviced and rode a customer's '65 with a 3-speed and reverse. Not only was it a sacrifice going straight ahead, it was so "tall" in reverse that it was,... in my opinion,.. dangerous as well as useless. Who wants to back into the garage that fast?

My wife never needed a reverse. Its too easy to get off and push it backwards by the windshield.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

A major factor you left out is where you live and how you ride. Here in the Rockies with base elevation at 7000 ft and pretty much everything up from there gearing is a bit more important. Are you weekend cruising for grins, or riding in traffic? Not the same at all. Rolling a sidecar bike around on flat ground is easier than moving a two wheeler. Add an incline and it deteriorates rapidly.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I put a sidecar on my 65 last year and quickly went from 24t to a 22t engine sprocket, but like Rubone says, depends on your area, I live in an area with some hills and it was the right choice for me, works perfect now.

Comment

I appreciate all the good advice guys. I live in the flatlands and mostly ride around town. The 22 sounds like the way to go.

Comment

JW!

By all means go for a compensating sprocket if at all possible, even if its a 23T.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Will running a smaller engine sprocket, all other things unchanged, affect your speedo?

Comment

Originally posted by jorrow View Post
                    Will running a smaller engine sprocket, all other things unchanged, affect your speedo?
                    No, the speedo drives off the transmission and changing engine sprockets has no effect on it. However changed the tranny output sprocket or rear wheel sprocket will.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                    X