Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I measuring my drop centre rims correct

The rims that came with my J are the drop centre type
    when I measure from the outside of the rim to outside it is 19 inches (see photo)
    yet the tyre is 18 inches (see photo)
    am I measuring it wrong or has somebody stretched this tyre on ?
    it was really hard to get off.
    Attached Files

An 18" rim will measure approximately 19.3" in diameter at the outer edge. You have the correct tire and rim combination and you can expect to have difficulty taking a tire on, or off. Putting a tire in the sunshine will soften it, and using a tire soap will aid your efforts. What brand of tire do you have Chris?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

The rims that came with my J are the drop centre type
      when I measure from the outside of the rim to outside it is 19 inches (see photo)
      yet the tyre is 18 inches (see photo)
      am I measuring it wrong or has somebody stretched this tyre on ?
      it was really hard to get off.
      Rim diameter is measured where the tire sits.
      The tire has to be in the drop center to remove or install.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        An 18" rim will measure approximately 19.3" in diameter at the outer edge. You have the correct tire and rim combination and you can expect to have difficulty taking a tire on, or off. Putting a tire in the sunshine will soften it, and using a tire soap will aid your efforts. What brand of tire do you have Chris?
        Thanks Eric, I will order new 18" rims, the tyre type was a brand that I had never heard of, am away from home this week so can not look to answer your question.

Comment

Thanks 1950 Panhead, 18" rims on order today !

Comment

Chris, I don't think your rims are at fault, unless you think they're too rusty, or bent. If you can post a full picture, we could tell if they are vintage correct H-D drop center 18" rims; which are very desirable if they are genuine Kelsey-Hayes in decent shape. Again, if they're in decent shape you can see the K-H symbol inside.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks 1950 Panhead, 18" rims on order today !
              Your rims may be ok ?
              What is the diameter of the rim where the tire sits ?
              Do you see a KH logo on inside of rim ?
              Kelsey wheels are desirable over after market.

Comment

Hi 1950 Panhead
                The rims are pretty chipped and I propose to plate them hence new, so if they are original they will stay that way and not be used, I am keeping all the removed / replaced parts.
                The bike is a re-build and not a restoration as a lot of the black pieces where already poorly plated and have been stripped and re plated
                Regarding the wheels themselves the rims where painted black with a red stripe through the middle, the red paint was not coated and when any attempt to clean them was made the paint just came off, also the spoke nipples where the wrong size (to small), the front spokes where plated and the rear stainless. So all in all a bit of a mess.
                The bike when finished will not be original and painted a maroon colour with plenty of bling, But at the end of the re build it will be pretty close regarding parts but not colour or plating.
                Already the engine has been totally re-built with all new parts, with the exception of the external covers, and the gear box internals 90 % new also.
                I hope traditionalist wont be to hard on me, as at the end of the day it is back on the road, after being recovered from a real mess. It may not be as the original but will look sweat and my answer is re-build not restoration, if restoration is what is needed then re-spray is all that will be required, mechanically 100% ready.
                Locally to me there is a guy who re-built an Indian on very similar lines regarding plating and although not original it does stand out ! If the bike I purchased had been original paint and tin then I would have restored and not re-built.

Comment

Working...
                X