1922 Mar-Tan Overhead Valve V-twinn motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1922 Mar-Tan Overhead Valve V-twinn motor

Very rare Milwaukee made proprietary v-twin overhead valve motor. Original condition with recently refurbished Bosch "baby Bosch racing magneto". Plus
    Tillotson carburetor and cooling fan and bracket. In running condition. Comes with copy of Operating and tuning instructions plus all my research material and ads. Final evolution of Perry Mack's 1910 overhead valve Waverley motorcycle engine. I'll also include a copy of my history of Perry
    E. Mack who was Harley-Davidson's first employee and first person to have his photo taken with a Harley-Davidson in 1905. He was also Chief Engineer at Briggs & Stratton for 30 years starting in 1919 where he patented numerous invention. Plus he built his own motorcycle in 1912 called the P.E.M. in Jefferson, Wi. and another propriety type v-twin called the Mack Motor in 1913 used in numerous cyclecars.

Cash is king. Local pickup only or make your own shipping arrangements. $5,900 I will crate for extra $.

Dick 608-538-3403 or PM.
    Attached Files

Very cool early OHV v-twin motor. Looks advanced. Excellent condition too.

Who was Mar and who was Tan?
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Is it related to the Lake Motor, also made in Milwaukee around 1919? I sent the brochure to our Virtual Library a year ago, but it looks like it has yet to be loaded up.

Comment

Hi guys, the Mar in Mar-Tan is Alexander E. Martin and the Tan is W. Tanhouser. Martin was a Milwaukee industrialist who had numerous business ventures and was a
        politician and a banker too. One of his foundries made cylinder castings for Harley-Davidson at one time. Tanhouser I don't have any information that I can remember.

The Mar-Tan was advertised as a railway speeder, cultivator, lawn mower, for light motor cars, tractor and grave digger. They would make the motor to your specifications much like Perry's Mack Motor.

The 1922 Mar-Tan Motor is the final evolution of Perry's 1910 Waverley motor. In 1912 Perry left the Waverley Mfg. Co. in Jefferson, Wis. and came out with his
        1913 Mack Motor. His left that venture in 1914 and went to A. O. Smith to work on their Motor Wheel. Then of course he went to Briggs & Stratton in 1919.

The 1919 Lake Motor is a 1913 Mack Motor with a different name on the cases. The Lake Motor was made by the J.I. Case Threshing Machine Co. of Racine, Wis.
        which bought the Universal Machinery Co. of St. Paul Ave. in Milwaukee in 1919 after Universal went bankrupt and then was conducted under the name of Lake Motor Co. The Lake Motor Co. were to move to Appleton, Wis. in 1920 but I don't believe that ever happened and were out of business by 1921. Very few were ever made. Then Mar-Tan bought the design which they updated and changed.

There are numerous books and web sites and articles that have all this history mixed up.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
          Hi guys, the Mar in Mar-Tan is Alexander E. Martin and the Tan is W. Tanhouser. Martin was a Milwaukee industrialist who had numerous business ventures and was a
          politician and a banker too. One of his foundries made cylinder castings for Harley-Davidson at one time. Tanhouser I don't have any information that I can remember.

The Mar-Tan was advertised as a railway speeder, cultivator, lawn mower, for light motor cars, tractor and grave digger. They would make the motor to your specifications much like Perry's Mack Motor.

The 1922 Mar-Tan Motor is the final evolution of Perry's 1910 Waverley motor. In 1912 Perry left the Waverley Mfg. Co. in Jefferson, Wis. and came out with his
          1913 Mack Motor. His left that venture in 1914 and went to A. O. Smith to work on their Motor Wheel. Then of course he went to Briggs & Stratton in 1919.

The 1919 Lake Motor is a 1913 Mack Motor with a different name on the cases. The Lake Motor was made by the J.I. Case Threshing Machine Co. of Racine, Wis.
          which bought the Universal Machinery Co. of St. Paul Ave. in Milwaukee in 1919 after Universal went bankrupt and then was conducted under the name of Lake Motor Co. The Lake Motor Co. were to move to Appleton, Wis. in 1920 but I don't believe that ever happened and were out of business by 1921. Very few were ever made. Then Mar-Tan bought the design which they updated and changed.

There are numerous books and web sites and articles that have all this history mixed up.

Dick
          Thanks for the info. I didn't know that J.I. Case in Racine made the Lake motor. That's my hometown. I went to J.I. Case High School. My grandfather and other relatives worked at Case.

That Waverley/Mack line of full OHVs sure had a lot of incarnations. I know that as a single-cylinder racer it burned up the track in the early teens. A very advanced OHV far ahead of its time. Looks cool too.
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
          X