Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Primers on J Motor

Hello,

Can anyone please explain "cylinder primers" on a J motor? What is the function and how are they used? I see that many get replaced with a plug.

Thanks,

-Brett

Brett, the primers were (primarily) used in very cold climates. The gas would help the piston to move easier at starting, and give a direct gas charge in the cylinder. This mostly applies to motorcycles in the teens, and into the early 30s that used H series Schebler carbs which didn't have as an effective choke as the later Linkerts. Here in Florida, you would never need to prime a bike because of the weather.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

That explains it!

Thanks Eric,

-Brett

Comment

Primarily.... Lol
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

If one vibrates open while going down the road, you'll know it.....
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
            If one vibrates open while going down the road, you'll know it.....
            I heard a really strange noise when I was riding and first thought the motor is about to blow! Turns out the front primer loosened up. It was an easy fix on the road! My riding day wasn't ruined! Life is good!

Comment

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
              I heard a really strange noise when I was riding and first thought the motor is about to blow! Turns out the front primer loosened up. It was an easy fix on the road! My riding day wasn't ruined! Life is good!
              Strange noise, loss of power and a hot leg!
              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
              X