Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what year these tanks are?

Came across these recently.

Someone had epoxied small nuts to the factory emblem mounting strip so I thought that these tanks were late '70's Shovelhead tanks but when I popped the small nuts off I found that the late '60's - 1971 tank emblem holes actually lined up..

It appears that the original hole threads were stripped.
    So...

Anyone have any idea what year these (this) tanks are?

Thanks...

Ron Stillabower
    Attached Files

Shovelhead tanks.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

They are post 66, 66 petcock in right side tank. not sure exactly apart from that, the boss for the petcock will help you narrow it down, eg. male or female, NPT, metric, thread.

Comment

They are 81/82 and later tanks. I forget exactly when the curved feeder tubes started.
        VPH-D

Comment

My '70 Shovel has the straight feeder tubes. Those look like much later tanks, possibly 80's already mentioned. Good luck on identifying them.

Comment

The tanks look to be re-pop with the tank emblem added and I say this due to the over size bolt holes for the front top and bottom mounts and it may be my memory but I do not remember HD using that affair for the rear tank bolt to go in. HD tanks are much lighter in weight also as a clue to origin. Later G/L

Comment

The petcock has outside threads, so they were built after the early 70's. I forget the year they changed, for reference my '70 has the internal thread setup.

Comment

1975 or later had the outside bung threads

Comment

Working...
                X