Another Schebler Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Schebler Carb Question

I'm finally to the point of trying to start up my '17F project, but this one's got me stumped. I trickle a little gas into the fuel line only to have it run out the bottom air intake. I've replace and adjusted the float and can't see any obvious wear on the needle. Any clues at to what's going on would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim Donaldson

IMG_0041.JPG

Well, nothing like a little measuring to get to the root of the problem. Dist. from the top of the bowl to the bottom of the counterbore (where the copper crush washer goes) is 1.820". Dist. from face of bowl gasket to stem face (where crushing of copper is to occur) is 1.750". With a gap of .070" there's not much crushing (or sealing for that matter ) going on. Schebler wizards, I need advice. Since apparently some damage has already been done, what's the fix? Stack copper crush washers or somehow skim .050-.060 off the top of the float bowl? I don't like the sounds of the latter.
    Thanks,
    Jim Donaldson

Comment

Jim, First off your dropping fuel out of the hot air riser because the bowl is over flowing do to the float not turning off the flow. The original seal was cork but if ya can make the later copper crush washer work, you will be better off. Jim if ya can't find a resolve. Feel free to bring it down to the shop and we can go though it. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Beware Folks,

That Linkert-style copper crushwashers are significantly thicker than the original vulcanized rubber seals, leaving too few threads available for most air intake horns.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Bob .... Cotton,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try a viton o-ring with enough thickness to hopefully seal the bowl. After that, we'll see if the leaking fuel problem still exists. If so Bob, I'll see ya at the shop.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jdonaldson View Post
            I'm going to try a viton o-ring with enough thickness to hopefully seal the bowl.
            When I was getting my float valve right on Monday I used an O ring under the bolt that I used to bung up the centre hole (see my 1920 F Project thread) and it sealed up fine.

John

Comment

I'm not an expert but I shaped a linkert strainer sealer to the shape neede for my schebler and it worked fine. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X