Flanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanders

A group in Chelsea, MI have acquired a 1911 Flanders 4 from Virgil Elings. Chelsea is the home of the Flanders, and the factory building still stands, though empty. The group intends to donate the cycle to the Chelsea Historical Museum once it's restored, in honor of Chelsea native, AMCA Member and past AHRMA national champion, Art Farley.

They are looking for any and all Flanders technical information, as well as pictures and drawings of the "4". Restoration suggestions, sources of parts, and recommended starting routines would be welcome. Also, they may want to start a Flanders Registry through the Museum.

If you have anything Farley you would be willing to share, please contact me at AMCAExecutiveDirector@gmail.com and I will pass the information along to the group. Thanks!

Thanks, Keith,
    I'm one of the group from Chelsea. We would, indeed, appreciate receiving any and all input on the Flanders 4. It will be at Wauseon next week for the swap meet and show, and we hope that anyone interested will stop by. Art Farley will be there with it.

There are a number of issues standing between us and getting it running. The frame is bent or broken in half-a-dozen places, so the rear wheel can't be aligned to get the belt to track. The pedal crank shaft is bent, as are both crank arms. The rear wheel pulley (terminology?) is probably bent/out of round. These issues make it difficult for us senior-citizens to turn the engine over fast enough to fire. The donation of a set of starter rollers may be coming soon. We're not sure of the right starting procedure - any suggestions would help.

The rims and spokes are severely corroded, so it would not be safe to ride the bike once we start it. We'll need help finding correct replacements. Six cylinder fins are broken. Many of the original fasteners are badly damaged, replaced with incorrect parts, or missing completely. The copper fuel and oil tanks are dented and leaking. The fork springs are corroded and sacked. All the usual things you find in a 100 year old bike.

So, the question of whether and how to restore the Flanders isn't easy to answer. We and the Historical Society want it to run reliably, so that it can be displayed and ridden safely at public events. It will be the central display at the Museum located directly across the railroad tracks from the building where it was built.

If you are interested in the Flanders and want to help with the project, please contact us.

Elliott Andrews

Comment

I would love to help ya out with this project. Basically there's nothing we can't make with in reason. How about some pictures of this wonderful machine. Bob Luland
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

They got this bike running at Wauseon. It was pretty cool.
        Dan Margolien
        Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
        Www.yankeechapter.org
        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

But-but-but-still no photos???!!!
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
            But-but-but-still no photos???!!!
            Yeah!

I'd like to see if it has a carb like this one, and where the bowl is indexed.

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-17-2016, 04:12 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

carb close up.jpgleft side.jpgright side.jpgyour wish is my command
              Dan Margolien
              Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
              Www.yankeechapter.org
              Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

That bike is anything short of a disaster. I will withdraw my offer thank you. Bob Luland
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks Dan!

But I guess that carb isn't like the '10 HX, or anything that has been trusted to me so far...

The rest of the machine needs love, but certainly nothing to be afraid of!

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Great photos, thanks!
                    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

The Flanders was the Oldest Bike on the field Sunday at Wauseon. It was judged at 98 points (I'll have to confirm that - it was either 97 or 98) and got it's 100 Year medallion. Here's a video of the start on Friday.

Comment

Great video-any idea when was the last time it ran?
                        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

We don't know when that was. We got the bike from Virgil Elings in California, and we're not sure whether it ever ran for him. Virgil remembers buying it at a mid-west auction some years back, but didn't have any information on its history.

Comment

Fantastic to see/hear it running again, bet that was a thrill for you folks. Judging was the icing on the cake!
                            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

It is very sad that they are going to destroy the bike by "restoring" it. Tom Wilcock

Comment

Working...
                              X