Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 FLH front brake line w/ bracket

DSCN1747.jpgDSCN1748.jpgDSCN1749.jpgDSCN1750.jpgDSCN1751.jpg

Can someone confirm this is the correct front brake line for a 1971 FLH. The bike has been in our family since 1974 low mileage/original paint so I am assuming this is the original brake line. For some reason it was cut? My parts books show a brake line without a bracket and a separate bracket #42314-71A for 1972 and later. Thanks

Shane

Shane,
    The '71 FLH has a mechanical front brake. The '72 was first year with a disc (front only) and in '73 a disc brake was added to rear. The brake line you show appears to be the brake line from the rear brake master cylinder to the brake line Tee.
    William
    Last edited by wideglide38; 06-02-2016, 07:49 AM.
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
      Shane,
      The '71 FLH has a mechanical front brake. The '72 was first year with a disc (front only) and in '73 a disc brake was added to rear. The brake line you show appears to be the brake line from the rear brake master cylinder to the brake line Tee.
      William

William,
      You are correct. I should have been more specific that it is the front brake tube for the rear brake. I assumed the photographs would show it was the rear brake line. Just need confirmation it is the original line. Thanks

Shane

Comment

Well, I hoped this was going to be a straight forward deal, but after a 128 views I guess not. I'm going to go ahead and repair the bracket and re-solder it back on to the brake line as I believe it has to be the factory original brake line. Maybe it was a one-year only part, since 1972 FLH's had a separate bracket and rubber sleeve that held the brake line. I would still like to know for sure if anyone out there has an original 1971 FLH. Thanks

Shane, AMCA #2225

Comment

Shane, this forum is a little on the dead side. Below is a link to another bracket that you could cut and silver solder to a new brake line. Sorry but I do not have an answer to your question. Bob Luland
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...RWvN5I&vxp=mtr
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Robert, Thanks for responding. The bracket you linked to on e-bay is part #42314-71A which my parts books says is correct for late 1972 FL, FLH and up. The brake line I'm interested in is #42305-71A which my parts book says fits 1971 FL, FLH and up (to at least 1976). However the parts book doesn't show a brake line with an attached bracket.....so I'm guessing the line with the soldered on bracket was correct for 1971 and early to mid 1972 models.

Comment

I'm going to assume from a manufacturing point that the factory did this to save time on the line. In the end they screwed them selves because the line had no movement which did anything but speed up the line. The end result was the clip on bracket. I don't think you have any worry that that line went with your bike Shane. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing what you find.

Shane, AMCA #2225

Comment

Yep that is the same brake line and bracket. Can you measure the top of the bracket from the right angle to the outside of the brake line so I can repair mine correctly. Thanks,

Shane

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X