Another one of our AMCA leaders of the past has departed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one of our AMCA leaders of the past has departed

After reading today in an email from the 101 Association of the passing of George Yarocki,
    I sent this reply, which I want to include here too:

This is sad news.
    After a few phone conversations in the early days of the 101 Association when I was getting started on a
    '31 101 Scout "basket case" project, I was pleased to meet George and Millie in person at my first trip to Davenport.
    This was when the vendor area was where the motor homes and RVs now park. On the local ride, I was offered
    a ride on the tandem seat with George on his 101 rig and Millie in the sweetheart sidecar working the video camera.
    Another memory is at one of the Colorado "DJ Road Runs" one day when he took a wrong turn on the way back
    to the hotel from Estes Park and ended up in fast I-25 rush hour traffic and survived without mishap. Over the years
    he was always helpful to me personally and with both his initiation and guidance of the 101 Association and with his
    literature collection copy business (therefore Max Bubeck's nickname for him - 'George Xeroxy').
    I'm sure, like many other AMCA members, I looked forward to seeing his "Retrospect" Column in the club
    magazine. I will miss this and his enduring enthusiasm for the 101 Scout and motorcycling in general.
    My sincere condolence to Millie and family as well as his many friends.
    John Crawford

Rest in Peace George. I never had an Indian to get advice for but he was interesting to talk with just the same.

Jerry Wieland

Comment

I remember George, Millie and their little dog as far back in the early 80's at the Schectady, NY AMCA meets. Was always a pleasure. RIP George.

Comment

Thank you George for your tireless support of the hobby and generous giving of your knowledge.
        Dan Margolien
        Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
        Www.yankeechapter.org
        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

George helped me with my '24 Big Chief. His advice was given with generosity, and kindness and I've always been in awe of his tremendous knowledge, and skills. My deepest condolences to his family, and many friends.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

This is a huge loss. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.
            AMCA # 3233

Comment

So sad. But George led a full life and leaves a legacy that is unsurpassed. He will be forever remembered and respected, within the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, and among fellow enthusiasts around the world.

George and Mili were so hospitable to me. In October of 1995, '96, '97, '98, '99, and 2000, I lived in George's guest room for two or three weeks on each visit. Torrington was my hub, and each day I would head out from Fort Yarocki between 5 and 7 in the morning, bound for other towns and states in the stunning beauty of New England autumns. My so-called work was photographing gorgeous old motorcycles in fantastic settings. What a privilege, to do that, and what a privilege to talk and listen to George. He was such a gentleman.

Jerry Hatfield
              Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Dear Jerry, I'm with you on that. I saw George numerous times at Oley and he was always knowledgeable and courteous. I also enjoyed his Restrospect column in the magazine. He seems, like a number of the older guys, to have continued to be active with his biking interest until almost his last day. Well done George, we'll remember you...

Comment

Nice story here - http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=17280
                  Last edited by Skirted; 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM.
                  Jason Zerbini
                  Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                  Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

great story, thanks. if there s something after this, hope he s up there twisting a throttle with old buds.
                    gww57.com

Comment

I have just received this information from Tim Raindle:

There will be a Memorial service and celebration of George's life held on Saturday June 18th, 11am at the 1st Congregational Church, 835 Riverside Avenue, Torrington CT. Food and Refreshment will be available at the farm of his nephew, Clayton Demings, University Drive, Torrington, afterwards. All welcome, bring a bike. Meeting up from 9am at George's shop, 679 Riverside Avenue, Torrington, CT 06790.

Comment

Just a reminder to everyone that the George Yarocki Memorial Service will be this Saturday, June 18. Meet up beginning at 9am at George's shop, 679 Riverside Avenue, Torrington, CT 06790. The service will be at 11 am at the 1st Congregational Church, 835 Riverside Avenue, Torrington, followed by Food and Refreshment at the farm of his nephew, Clayton Demings, University Drive, Torrington. All are welcome--bring a bike.

Here's a link to a story on the graveside service that was held June 1:

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=17336

Comment

Working...
                        X