1916 clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 clutch?

Hi- disassembling the gearbox on the recent barn find 1916 HD J engine and gearbox I notice a different clutch arrangement than found on my other 16 and 18 box. It seems hugely overengineered and in good nick. So is this a 1916 clutch?- i read in the bulletin that the 1919 on clutches were better or less maintenance intensive. I guess the clutch plate and sprockets are interchangeable.

Best
    Nilsr
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Nils_r; 04-26-2016, 04:48 PM.

That appears to be a 1918 to mid 1919 style of freewheel clutch. That style runs on roller bearings as opposed to ball bearing as on the earlier freewheel clutch. The mid 1919-29 clutch is a VERY different arrangement and only a ew of the parts interchange. The clutch plates interchange but the sprockets do not.
    If you switched to the later style of clutch, you would also have to change the transmission mainshaft.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Right- I got really confused trying to identify the parts from the spare part list. So someone has changed the clutch at some time during the last 100 years but only to a slightly improved setup. I have got the 1919 style parts as well- including internals for 4 gearboxes so I should be good. However I like this design although the lubrication of the freewheel bearings must be quite a job. It would seem that they have run in oil and not grease and they are separated by a ring containing a felt seal. Parts a re in remarkable good condition but would need to find new sprocket or make new sprocket. I have new parts like bearings and race plus new sprocket with rivets for the later style. What is the recommendation- as none is 16 I guess practicality comes before originality

Best
      NilsR

Comment

The clutch you have shown there will be fine. It is oiled from the outside. Please post a picture of the BACK side of the actuating plate (the roughly triangular plate with the three pins)
        There should be a stamped steel cone soldered to the back center that extends about 1".
        There should also be a hole off center at the bottom of the deep pocket in that same actuating plate.
        The hole is where oil is put in and the cone acts as a diverter to apply the oil deeper into the counterbore of the actual clutch hub. Notice the steel ring in the ID of the hub. That acts as a dam to prevent the oil from simply pouring out of the front and onto the ground. There is a hole in the wall of the counterbore of the hub leading to the roller bearings.
        The 1915-1917 ball bearing clutch required removal and disassembly for periodic greasing. This 1918-mid 1919 clutch is oiled from the outside.
        I make clutch sprockets for that clutch if interested. $75
        Mark
        Last edited by MMasa; 04-27-2016, 06:12 AM. Reason: Spelling error
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Ok- the Caged felt ring sits between the roller bearings - at least that was how it was when I dissassembled it. Pics show the actuating plate - the one in question to the right. There is a cup which was assembled in the centre of the actuaring plate but on the outside. There are no holes provided exept in the hub to feed the bearings. To make this work I will need to remove the actuating plate and put oil in the hub to lube the bearings. The 1919 actuating plate is shown left- it is different. And the sprocket i bought from you for the 1919 basket will not fit I see now.

Best
          Nilsr
          image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

I will post pictures of the correct actuating plate tomorrow. I understand about the clutch sprocket. I make both styles.
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Right- so it could be that the actuating plate I have got is for the older style with ball bearings which had to be greased. Seems like the clutch was assembled with different parts

Best
              Nilsr

Comment

1918-m1919 Clutch Plate

The cup is soldered to the back of the actuating plate

Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Interesting- The actuator plate I have is similar less the soldered cup and the hole provided. The cup I have acts as an extension/cover- maybe not original. I wonder how I can embed the pictures so they become larger as the one you provide, much better when they show directly. I will have a look at the 4th gearbox I have which actuator plate is provided, maybe better to rebuild to the 1919 style after all- the 1916 primary cover would show the oiling hole I giess whereas a 1919 style would look like a 1916 I guess, unless you are a judge of course
                  2016-04-28 16.59.21.jpg
                  Last edited by Nils_r; 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X