battery draining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery draining

1940 4 gas generator with auto-lite reg...is draining my battery never did before but it is now...any ideas ?? thanks chris

Chris!

I would ask IndianFrank@yahoo.com of course,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom,

You took the words right out of my mouth. He did my four generator with his electronic relay that fits under the old cover. One thing I did just to sure was to put a plug I can disconnect at the battery and just unplug it at the end of my rides if I remember. LOL.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
        Tom,

You took the words right out of my mouth...
        Sorry D.A., I know that's not hygenic.
        Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
        One thing I did just to sure was to put a plug I can disconnect at the battery and just unplug it at the end of my rides if I remember. LOL.
        If it were a brandx system, you would risk losing polarity (a common "Sportster Disease"). I asked Frank about Autolites, and he said he just polarizes them on the bench and its not an issue. Electricals elude me.

Haven't talked to Frank in a while; Hope all is well...

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

disconnected gen wire from reg and now it doesn't drain battery...so I guess its the generator ...gen is grounded would a polarity issue cause the drain ?

Comment

It sounds as if you have come close to solving the mystery but I would look at the regulator or did the Four use a cut out relay. If the generator is keeping the battery charged while running it is probably not the generator. It sounds to me as if it is a faulty regulator, cut out, that has a set of contacts staying closed when the bike is at rest. This will cause the battery to discharge through the stuck contacts to the generator when at rest. The stuck contacts may also cause the battery to overcharge when running.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Small clarification on cutout contacts. Whether purely a cutout or incorporated into a regulator, the cutout merlely acts as a switch. Generator turning, points closed, not turning, open. When the cutout detects between a 1/2 and 3/4's of a volt from residual magnetism as the generator begins to turn it closes the points now providing 6 (or 12) volts to the field coils and in turn channeling power generated to the battery, so technically they will not be stuck closed if the motor's running as they should be closed while it is. If they do remain closed with the engine off the generator will attempt to "motor" itself, can't and may burn the insulation off the field coils if the battery large/strong enough.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

points seem to be fine...the gen itself seems to be the problem which I don't understand because it worked fine...took it off , painted it, replaced it then it started to drain the battery ??

Comment

After you removed the generator from the circuit, did you polarize it? I do not know if that would cause your problem of battery drain but it may cause the generator to not operate properly,charge. BTW your initial post said nothing about removing it from the circuit. When trying to solve a mystery, it is always best to reveal all of the details.You might want to consult the manual on polarizing both the generator and the regulator due to the circuit having been opened. I would think that is a good starting place before it gets expensive for no good reason.

Comment

Working...
                  X