Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hike in dues to Canadian members is unacceptable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hike in dues to Canadian members is unacceptable.

I am holding this years AMCA dues from Canada because of the hike in price to us Canadian members. The AMC people have decided Canada is International, well it is not really like some think. There is no Ocean to fly over and a lot of other club dues are priced the same. USA and Canada should be the same rate or very close to it. Other club dues rate Canada the same as USA. The AMC is imposing US $55.00 dues to Canadians. Because the stock exchange decided the Canadian dollar is higher than the US dollar, that means my real dues are now $70.00 Canadian. I cannot agree with that, I think reconsideration here is in order, otherwise I might pay only every second year. I am not interested in the extra magazines that I barely bother to read....Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

I'll agree with Joe's point, Canadian membership should be at the same rate as US membership, $40.00 USD.

Is it because it costs more to mail the magazine to Canada? How much more?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
      I'll agree with Joe's point, Canadian membership should be at the same rate as US membership, $40.00 USD.

Is it because it costs more to mail the magazine to Canada? How much more?
      My understanding when this fee change was announced last year that it was said that postage cost to a Canadian address was as much as to an International address. I suspect that there are cheaper, but just as quick, ways to do the Canadian mailing but it may be "too much trouble" for the mail-out house to arrange for the small number of Canadian-resident AMCA members.

In Canada, the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group annual membership can be less expensive if the monthly magazine is received by Email instead of in printed on paper and mailed form. This is quicker, cheaper and comes in full colour as well.

AFJ

Comment

Well, if there are not that many Canadians in the club then there cant be the excessive total cost either. Most Canadian members are within 50 miles of the 49th parallel, I live 14 miles North of the 49th like most of us and that cant cost the same as mailing to France or Germany, Pay attention here those in control I say!!. Mathematics tell me the million American Members would not be bothered by a dollar hike to Canadains or a dollar hike to all instead of throwing us under the bus. I dollar hike over the board would be an extra million dollars to mail mags to 100 Canucks, what the heck is wrong with that? Canada is not in Europe. Who do I contact regarding this issue...???
        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Having spoken previously about this with the 'executives', it is no surprise to them that I agree with Joe to this extent: Although nothing remains the same over time and reasonable fee increases do occur, the recent excessive dues increase for Canadian addresses is a double whammy. First there is the recent drastic drop in the value of the CDN $ relative to the US $ AND the fact that the continued issue of delayed delivery of the actual magazine has NOT improved (despite the available new internet version).... which we now pay more for!!! I think it is reasonable to expect that such a high increase should at least equate to timely delivery.
          I have noted on the Forum in the past that the magazine has sometimes arrived in Europe and even Australia before it gets to my door! There must be a better way.
          John #2806

Comment

I think those "Executives" as you call them are totally ignorant on this issue. It is easier for them to just label Canada "International" and treat us as tho we were in Europe at the same mailing cost. It is simpler for them but they are insulting to be so lazy and simplistic. Has anyone got their contact?
            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Originally posted by partshunt View Post
              Has anyone got their contact?
              Go to the AMCA home page, go to the bottom and click on contact us. When page opens, in the third paragraph the word 'here' will be highlighted, click it, (or scroll down) and everybody's info comes up.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Joe
                FYI: There are 825 Canadian members in Antique Motorcycle Club of America. Contact information for all AMCA Board members appears on page 89 of each issue of
                The Antique Motorcycle, as well at antiquemotorcycle.org (as biglakebob suggests).
                The AMCA BoD works closely with our editorial staff, printing company, mailing centers, and others, regarding mailing (shipping) costs. We are always on the lookout for a better way.
                Though you may suspect or surmise that there is a better way, at this time; there ain't.
                If you would like to contact me, Fred Davis, AMCA Director of Chapters or any AMCA Board member, do not hesitate to call or email at any time. We are here to serve you.
                419-577-1664 frednan2@gmail.com.
                Best regards, Fred
                Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

a dollar hike to all instead of throwing us under the bus.
                  I like Canadians as much or more than I like peoples from many other countries, but that doesn't mean I want to spend my money to subsidize their motorcycle hobby.

Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
                  First there is the recent drastic drop in the value of the CDN $ relative to the US $
                  I'm very sympathetic to the consequences for you of this. It happens to me when I buy parts from England at times when the dollar has dropped with respect to the pound. But, in neither case is this AMCA's fault. Blame the international banking system.

Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
                  delayed delivery of the actual magazine ... I think it is reasonable to expect that such a high increase should at least equate to timely delivery.
                  Again, my sympathy, but again, not AMCA's fault. You do live in another country so there is an international border to slow things down. Blame the postal service.

I think those "Executives" as you call them are totally ignorant on this issue. ... they are insulting to be so lazy and simplistic.
                  Insults are uncalled for. I seriously doubt the dues increase for Canadian members was decided on by the club officers without exploring alternatives and thoroughly discussing it. Personally, I'm grateful people volunteer their time to work as AMCA club officers in a climate where seldom is there gratitude expressed when things work smoothly, but often there are insults thrown whenever there is an issue (even when caused by something not within the control of AMCA).

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
                    Personally, I'm grateful people volunteer their time to work as AMCA club officers
                    Me too.

I ship a lot of stuff to customers in Canada, so I rated a 12 oz first class large envelope from my zip code to a customer's postal code near Edmonton, Alberta, it cost $4.79 USD. Same 12 oz first class large envelope to another customer's zip code in California is $3.25 USD, or $2.61 media mail rate.
                    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by hogchild71 View Post
                      Joe
                      FYI: There are 825 Canadian members in Antique Motorcycle Club of America.
                      Though you may suspect or surmise that there is a better way, at this time; there ain't.
                      If you would like to contact me, Fred Davis, AMCA Director of Chapters or any AMCA Board member, do not hesitate to call or email at any time. We are here to serve you.
                      419-577-1664 frednan2@gmail.com.
                      Best regards, Fred
                      Fred,
                      Are you sure that 825 number of "Canadian members" isn't the total of non-USA AMCA members which would include Canadian and International members?
                      As of the 2013 financial reports it looks to me like about 303 Canadian resident AMCA members and 406 International AMCA members.
                      I see in a 2015 Board report that the whole membership was just under 11,000.
                      AFJ

Comment

I sold a cheap repro headlight on ebay to a Canadian and the shipping cost more than the part. It was my fault for not doing the proper postal research, but none the less, I got hosed. I agree with the above comments; the AMCA is a U.S. based club and shipping to foreign countries costs a lot more. We are a great club, and an international club, but there are logistical realities.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Joe. I am one of the Board members and the only Canadian. I can assure you the Board struggled with what is fair for all for a year.To say we are ignorant and our heads up, I mean in the sand, is unfair. When we looked into the dues structure last year, we quickly discovered that Canadian postal rates had gone up much more rapidly than mailing costs elsewhere since the previous dues increase 13 years ago. As hard as it is to believe, that means it really does cost as much for us to deliver a magazine to a member in Toronto as it does to one in Paris, even though we use an international mailing service to bulk-ship magazines into Canada (and Europe). The real ignorant people here is our Federal Government who have ridiculous postal rates compared to the USA. Why do so many of us drive to the USA to mail our parts or to pick them up..... Hell of a lot cheaper.

In the end, the Board made the decision that we had to adjust the Canadian dues to reflect that cost, since we had a situation in which members here in the U.S. were essentially subsidizing the cost of magazine delivery to Canadian members.

We have seen the same issue when it comes to shipping of AMCA calendars to members outside the U.S. A few years ago, we had to break out the shipping costs separately when we discovered that the cost of mailing a calendar was sometimes greater than the entire amount we were getting for them.

We know that this increase has hit our Canadian members hardest, but these costs are out of our control, and the new dues structure just corrects an imbalance that had built up over a number of years. As a Canadian I was the first to ask all the hard questions. Bottom line our country's postal rates are some of the worst in the world. For me personally I would never not pay the dues due to politics or whatever. As a member since 1973 I wait sometimes for a long time for my magazine. That is why we are working so hard to sort out the new online version of the magazine. Maybe some day there will be a hard copy price and a virtual price . We're discussing this very topic.Last word,it's my favourite motorcycle magazine of them all. I also pay more at Chapters for other MC magazines than what the US price says in the corner too. The Board is working hard, and as Fred says, just ask the question and we'll do our best to find out for you.I'm off to my old MC meeting and my 45 awaits.
                          Ross

Comment

Yes, I understand it would cost more to Edmonton vrs California. However, it would cost more again to Germany, France or Sweden wouldn't it?. That is my beef. The AMCA just bluntly rated Canada just like it was located in Europe or something like that. My Indian 4 club dues are the same for Canada and USA. My Laughing Indian dues are the same for Canada and USA. More for overseas like it autta be. I think 3 or 4 bucks over USA rates is generaouse and fair. I dont expect anything for nothing but I dont want to subsidize mailing overseas...US needs our oil, our timber, our Hydro Electric Power and also our Water. We just want to be a member, keep some of your mags if you cant afford to mail them, I dont care because I never read them cover to cover anyway. If mailing is an issue, sell the extra mags separately.
                            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Since you can now read the entire magazine online, how about just make the dues the same as the US and dont send a magazine.....
                              just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X