Does anyone recognize this 1920 J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone recognize this 1920 J

Last year I came to own this 1920 HDJ barn find. The history behind this HD has been lost by the family I bought it from. Here is what I know. The bike was bought by an individual in MN in the early '80's. He had it repainted but he wanted to keep it original as found so he kept the "Alexandria Police Dept." This is all the facts I have. The owner died in the early '90's. The family believes the bike came from out east somewhere but they aren't sure. According to Google there are 17 state with a town called Alexandria. If you have any information about this HD J it would be appreciated. Thanks

1920 HD J.jpg1920 HD.jpg

Might want to check with the City of Alexandria VA just across the river from DC. I realize you have multiple Alexandria's to deal with but they still have m/c cops and I would think that it isn't far fetched to think they would have been large enough to have motorcycle police at this time. Might check with the city historian or the archives. Since it has been around since the early days of the country they should have decent records and is very historic it's self as one of America's first ports and very important to the country's commerce.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA#12766

Comment

THis may help as a starting point http://www.policemotorunits.com/alex...epartment.html

Comment

Very cool web site Mr. Kahuna!
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

You don't have a lot to go on. A picture of the bike before painting would give some validity to the claim of being a police bike, but as it is right now; it's just an unsubstantiated claim. From the picture, the front fender is '21 or later, and the primary cover is '17 and earlier, so the bike has been modified. That doesn't mean it's not what it's claimed, but history is like science, and it requires proof. Aside from all of that baloney; I love J Harleys, and I love your bike.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X