Corrections to magazine errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrections to magazine errors?

I guess that if my eyes were better I wouldn't have spent an hour digging through my limited resources to determine whether the page 13 1912 Pope Model H represented an earlier example of rear-frame spring suspension than Indian's 1913. .... Then I realized that the picture on page 13 shows, if you look close, the "Indian" script on the tank.
    Is it possible to at least correct the "cyber" issue? I suppose being a Bonham's ad maybe you can't.
    It does cheapen our product just a bit, don't you think?

It might cheapen Bohnam's but certainly not us. it's called a typo and it's their's as I'm sure they provided the prepackaged copy. You really spend time on this?
    DrSprocket

Comment

Good eyes, Phil. Yes, that certainly does look like an Indian Powerplus, doesn't it? Unfortunately, we're not in a position to change the ad they send us.

Bill Wood

Comment

Rich, what I really spent time on was a curiosity: was Indian's leaf spring suspension the first? When I realized the bike WAS an Indian (and that I'd never get that time back!), I was disappointed.
        And sorry, the mistake is bigger than a "typo", and I wouldn't mind sending Bonham's a note about it. It does their brand a lot more discredit than ours, but it's still on our pages. We should expect better of them, gloss and glitter and all.

Comment

First leaf suspension that comes to mind is the leaf suspension on the 1910 Comet. Front and rear. I'm sure there were others.

Dick

Comment

I believe M-M had a leaf spring fork in '08, and I thought Orient had a leaf spring fork even earlier.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
              Rich, what I really spent time on was a curiosity: was Indian's leaf spring suspension the first? When I realized the bike WAS an Indian (and that I'd never get that time back!), I was disappointed.
              And sorry, the mistake is bigger than a "typo", and I wouldn't mind sending Bonham's a note about it. It does their brand a lot more discredit than ours, but it's still on our pages. We should expect better of them, gloss and glitter and all.
              The 1905 Bercley made in Brussels, Belgium had a leaf-spring front fork.
              AFJ

Comment

Thanks for that, guys!
                Gee, when I un-packed my Chief basket from its O.D. green crates (leftover army stuff) and built it after 17 years, I was all giddy and happy, and bought the Iron Redskin, and Hatfield's Buyer's Guide, and got counsel from all the "Indian's the Best" guru's of the area. The Iron Redskin's advertising examples also helped me believe that Indian was cutting-edge from the git-go. I soon learned otherwise, that there were 250 other builders claiming "first" and "best". But this farm-kid from the sticks hasn't seen what the rest of you have. It's disappointing to see less-than-reliable info in the modern day. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                  Thanks for that, guys!
                  Gee, when I un-packed my Chief basket from its O.D. green crates (leftover army stuff) and built it after 17 years, I was all giddy and happy, and bought the Iron Redskin, and Hatfield's Buyer's Guide, and got counsel from all the "Indian's the Best" guru's of the area. The Iron Redskin's advertising examples also helped me believe that Indian was cutting-edge from the git-go. I soon learned otherwise, that there were 250 other builders claiming "first" and "best". But this farm-kid from the sticks hasn't seen what the rest of you have. It's disappointing to see less-than-reliable info in the modern day. Thanks for your input.
                  So was your "Chief basket" a 340 Military Chief as sold to the French army? (but some ended up North of the border in the Canadian Army for training purposes.)

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
                    So was your "Chief basket" a 340 Military Chief as sold to the French army? (but some ended up North of the border in the Canadian Army for training purposes.)

AFJ
                    No, AFJ, it was a stripped-down and worn out roller, with a 6' sissy bar, home-made seat, .... beautiful! Seller (fellow G.I. in our unit) and I are still good friends today, see each other at Wauseon. We had no idea of AMCA existence then (1973).

Comment

Working...
                    X