J Model Control Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Model Control Coils

Can anyone point me to a supplier of control coil suitable for J Model Harley-Davidsons - that is, the spiral wound metal sheath within which the control wire itself slides. Preferably I want a match - both in diameter and pitch of the coil - as I want to re-use the original coil end plugs and control coil nuts with their left hand threads.

I've had a preliminary search here in New Zealand without much luck, though it's still a work in progress.

I know that Competition Distributing advertise control coils complete with wire and end plug, but my preference is to reuse as much of the original as possible. (In part because I'm using reproduction handlebars supplied a few years ago by Comp. Dist. which appear to have a narrower bore than the originals, at least at the grip end, and, as a result, I have had to turn down the spiral plunger and coil end plug to a good sliding fit. I don't want to waste the effort!)

I got mine from:

http://www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com/3000-3999.htm

the other thing he has, which I had not found were the 2 little springs in the oil pump. I asked for a long coil, as I think one is longer than the other and he got me a 6 foot piece. I think this is Johnny Sells site.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you Dan. The contact looks promising. I have sent off an email to him and will report back on how I got on.

Mike

Comment

I've been in touch with Johnny Sells, who has been a pleasure to deal with. He is able to supply the coil in 80 inch lengths (enough for one bike), and I've ordered a couple of lengths. Thanks again for the referral Dan.

Comment

Working...
        X