1916 Harley j Gas Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 Harley j Gas Tank Question

Hello folks. As some of you know I am currently building a Harley 20F and the bike came with some spare gas tanks.

I am reliably informed that one of them is a 1916 only tank.

Given that I only need one tank for my bike and I currently have a total of three it would seem logical to sell the 1916 tank.

The left hand half is is reasonably OK condition for a 100 year old piece of tin. I cant see any holes and it seems to have quite a lot of (what looks like to me) original paint left. It does have a bit of red oxide primer on it. There is also a dent near the front

The right hand tank is not as good. There is a hole in the top front corner and there are a couple of very thin areas with pin holes on the top of the tank between the filler and the front of the tank.

There is a bit of original paint but it has a lot of red oxide primer on it. The primer does scrape off if you are very careful and it leaves some of the original paint on the tank but it is very time consuming. I did one small area and I spent about 2 hours on it. Some pictures are below including the bit I have scraped clean. There are also a few more dents than the other half.

There are more pictures in my bike project/build thread.

However I dont have a clue what its worth (I am very new to antique American bikes). I am assuming that ebay is the best place to put it given I am in the UK and I suspect the market for this is mostly in the USA. However I dont want to put it on ebay and find it only makes a couple of hundred bucks, if its only worth a couple of hundred dollars then I would rather keep it and use it for swaps.

Finally an apology. Asking questions like this feels a bit vulgar but I honestly dont have a scooby's how much this might go for so I guessed I ought to ask because I have seen a few guys asking similar questions.

Thanks,

John

John
    Those tanks are fairly rare and should fetch quite a bit more than a couple of hundred dollars.
    All it takes is two people who can't live without them.
    That being said, the market on J stuff has been fickle for the past couple of years.
    I suggest that you simply put a reserve on the item for what you would be willing to take.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
      John
      Those tanks are fairly rare and should fetch quite a bit more than a couple of hundred dollars.
      All it takes is two people who can't live without them.
      That being said, the market on J stuff has been fickle for the past couple of years.
      I suggest that you simply put a reserve on the item for what you would be willing to take.
      Mark
      Thanks Mark. I will decide on my reserve and advertise them later this month.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
        Thanks Mark. I will decide on my reserve and advertise them later this month.

John.
        Let us know when you list them!

Comment

OK folks as requested I am letting you know that I have listed it on ebay. Item number 201523557580.

Link here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1916-Vinta...YAAOSwQYZWwMQL

I have put it up at a starting price of £700 pounds sterling which is (according to google) $1,015 USD or $1,428 Australian Dollars or €902 Euros.

Comment

Hi

Contact Steve at MTS (Milton Keynes), easy find on the net, bet he can repair these tanks.
            Double your money with a serviceable set !

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLewis View Post
              Hi

Contact Steve at MTS (Milton Keynes), easy find on the net, bet he can repair these tanks.
              Double your money with a serviceable set !

Chris
              Thanks Chris. The tanks are on ebay and have bids on them so I will leave it up to the new owner.

Comment

The ebay sale got cancelled due to a misunderstanding so before I put it on ebay I have put on here if anyone is interested.

Comment

When you ship/mail these, you might call them Motorcycle Sheet Metal. GAS tanks raise a red flag to carriers.
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Re: Harley 16J gas Tanks

Originally posted by 23JDCA 808 View Post
                    When you ship/mail these, you might call them Motorcycle Sheet Metal. GAS tanks raise a red flag to carriers.
                    Thanks for the advice, I will do that. The tanks have been empty for years and there is no trace of gasoline left in them.

John

Comment

The joys of ebay

Well the tanks sold once a few weeks ago and had several bids. Unfortunately the winning bidder had not read the advert fully and changed his mind after the auction had ended..

Why would you do that?

Anyway I put them on again and this time no bids. I guess its the old ebay thing where (as a potential bidder) if you see something listed again you become suspicious and dont bid.

So if anyone on here is interested then make me an offer and I will consider it. If I dont get any offers on the next week or so the I will advertise them through the VMCC.

If no one is interested after that then I will pack them away and keep them as spares.

John

Comment

Working...
                      X