Henderson deluxe with VL Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson deluxe with VL Rims

Haven't heard the best of things about clincher rims. I was thinking of trying to relace a Henderson deluxe wheel (front and back - proper hubs are still needed) using the VL rims . Has anyone every done this and if so what spokes, etc. were used.
    I do know I could send them out to Buchanans but would like to try on my own.
    thanks for the help,
    Dan

Dear Dan, quite a few Hendersons are running on VL rims. I don't recall what they did for spokes, but maybe the VL ones can be encouraged to fit...

Comment

Replicate Metal I believe it is makes a great 19'' wheel that is way affordable and will work on VL's, Henderson's, bobjob knuckle's or what have you. Bare metal I think it was about $135 and I didn't have to strip or straighten an old VL rim if you can find one. Spot on duplicate. Hope this helps.
      DrSprocket

Comment

You know, people rode clincher shod motorcycles for many years before safety bead tires. I think people should do what they are comfortable with, and feel safe with, but I personally hate seeing a drop center rim on a clincher era motorcycle.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, The main problem today is they don't make the same quality clincher tire that they did back in the day. I rode my Super-X for fifteen year and thousands of miles on clinchers with no problem. I had friends ride with clinchers on J-models and spit them off and do the slide for life. The outside bead doesn't have the stiffness the old ones use to have and the roads are better thus the speed is usually higher.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Those are good points Rich. Unlike with modern tires, a rider needs to monitor tire pressure often, and keep an eye open for sidewall flaws on a clincher. A Cannonball bike should be on safe tires.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
            X