Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE Engine Blueprints?

Gentlemen,

Daily I receive request from all over the world with people asking a variety questions about antique motorcycles, parts, identifying items and so on. Today I got a request from a retired machinist looking to custom build a 1924-6 ACE motorcycle engine. His specific question, "Are there blueprints of this engine that exist?" I'm reaching out our members to see if anyone has knowledge of any.

Thanks! - Keith

Ace blueprints came up for sale on ebay around 6 or 7 years ago. It was a huge pile so I assume it covered quite a few year samplings, and probably a lot of engine details. It was a no sale on ebay and many speculated that the seller was fishing for a ballpark value. People also speculated that it would show up at one of the big auctions. I've heard nothing about it since so it was either bought by a rich guy who buried it as an investment, or the seller lost interest and buried it as an investment. Regardless, it is back in obscurity where it will do nobody any good.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Yeah i read about a guy who in 2009 was doing a clean out and found 400+ pages of bill henderson and art lemons original prints on vellum.... apparently they got misplaced in springfield long ago. Where they are now I do not know.. I think I have the article saved. I'll look

Comment

Here it is... I hope they will eventually become available to public view. It's a shame to keep something so useful locked up....

"Ace Motorcycle Rare Drawings from 1919 Found in Dumpster!Published by*Cyril Huze*December 28th, 2008 in*Builders,*Editorial*and*Events.

In 1919, at the end of the World War One, a significant set of motorcycle drawings was created. They would be lost for the next 90 years, until discovered in a trash bin.* They will be sold at the Mid-America Auction, which will be held at the South Point Hotel in Las Vegas on January 10th 2009. Read the unbelievable story of these extremely rare documents.

During the World War I era, a number of early manufacturers went out of business or were bought up by stronger companies. William Henderson, who is still considered America’s most creative motorcycle designer, sold his company to a German immigrant, Ignatius Schwinn, who started making bicycles in Chicago in 1895.The Henderson had a fine reputation as being America’s most luxurious, elegant, and expensive four-cylinder motorcycle. Schwinn felt he had taken ownership of the “best of the best” and added it to his Excelsior Line. Despite signing a non-compete clause, Henderson was unhappy and soon began plans for a finer and even more elegant replacement, the ACE. Henderson would call it “The Ace Four”, the finest thing on two wheels!” He began drawing the plans for his elegant new ACE and searching for investors to help finance the new factory. As soon as his non-compete expired production began. Money would eventually run out, and while searching for the finances needed to complete his machine, production was moved, and even discontinued a couple of times.

One tragic cold day, Dec. 11th 1922, Henderson was test riding the new Ace and was struck by a car and killed. Within weeks his assistant, Arthur Lemon, completed the final drawings, and then sold the rights to Indian Motorcycle Co., America’s largest manufacturer. Indian produced the bike as the Ace, then Indian Ace, and finally as their own brand, the Indian Four. During the 1930s, it went on to become America’s only luxury motorcycle, akin to a Duesenberg or Cord.

The original drawings, numbering approximately 400 pieces, disappeared from view. Lost in the files of the massive Indian Company, the Henderson Ace drawings were assumed to have been destroyed in 1953, when Indian went out of business. Astonishingly, the new owner, Bill Melvin, found the drawings as they were being placed in a dumpster and headed for a landfill. They had sat under layers of dust in a warehouse for years. Bill Melvin says: “After spending much of my adult life looking for this type of treasure, it was overwhelming to find what represents the finest work of the most renowned designer in American motorcycle history. And to think they were headed for a landfill; when I found them, I had goose bumps for a week.”

The drawings are each signed and dated by William Henderson and Arthur Lemon; they were done on a cloth material and are in beautiful condition. They still rest in the old envelopes from the Indian factory. They have added significance in that many of Henderson’s inventions are still in use in today’s machines. "
        Last edited by mikesamericanhistory7; 01-19-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

So what are all those original blueprints in the basement of the AMA Museum in Westerville Ohio? I saw them ten years ago, but are they Henderson or Indian, I can't remember for sure?

Comment

After William Henderson was killed in 1922, Ace survived two different buy-outs before finding a home at Indian in 1927.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

So I spoke with the guy who discovered the prints... and they are in fact still in his possession. And they are ace as well as indian going back to 1905! He's very knowledgeable and an antique motorcycle guy... he's a real nice guy. 40,000 + pages all together.. so now I understand why it's more than just putting out a book. He also doesn't want to see them split up. So theyre in good hands, just not available to the public. He is an amca member so maybe he can clear the air if he sees this. I've heard people complain about how they should be public knowledge, (me included) but after speaking with him I understand there's a lot to it. He made some really good points I didn't consider... such as how that would open up the doors to all kinds of Chinese repop parts (as if there aren't enough). It's pretty amazing that it even exists and hopefully someday the info will be made available but only time will tell

Comment

Those are good points, and it sounds like those documents are in the right hands. Unfortunately in our hobby, there are a lot of speculators so it makes some of us cynical. I'm glad a true enthusiast is caretaking those touchstones to the Ace legacy.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                X