carbon build up on pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbon build up on pistons

I noticed a excessive build up of carbon after looking into my spark plug opening on my 1966 stock FLH. I'm running a Champion J12YC plug in it. the bike runs great but when I was doing my routine maintenance to it the plugs were black not tan. Never had to adjust the carburetor before, the bike starts and runs strong for the 7 years I have owned it. Air filter is change on a regular basis so should I go with a different brand or hotter plug. Trying to find Harley 3-4 plugs is difficult, any suggestions. Thanks Dave

Dave!

Have you been running on the same manifold O-rings for seven years?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

hi cotten, yes in fact I can say with certainty that they are original. I new the original owner and the bike was never apart with 7100 miles on it. I ride it pretty often and it does not cough or spit. the bike runs like a top. with that said do u think I have a small leak in the intake manifold. Correct me if I'm wrong, when testing for a manifold leak u spray water from a spray bottle on it while running. if the bike chokes or runs rough that will show a leak. Thanks for the reply.
      Last edited by chgofire5sqd; 11-18-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

O boy, Cotton's going to have Manifold Leak Class 101 with you. I've been there. Listen up.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Dave!

Common O-rings swell enormously in modern fuels, sometimes to the point of extruding into the ports.
          Modern viton O-rings may well last seven years.

Spraying anything while its running often misses all but large leaks.
          Bubble-testing with air pressure is absolute: http://virtualindian.org.11techleaktest.

Testing while assembling prevents over-tightening of the clamps.

....Cotten
          Attached Files
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X