5 gallon gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 gallon gas tanks

Can someone tell me in what year did Harley-Davidson start using 5 gallon tanks?

1965 on the last Panhead and the only ones with a pull up reserve assembly on them. There were some 5 gallon race tanks for WRs in the '40s and '50s (Daytona), and some dealers made extra large tanks out of standard ones before H-D ever did.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Wasn't '66 a one year only as well with petcock changing sides for '67?

Comment

Yes, the 66 tanks are one year only.
        VPH-D

Comment

Thanks, I picked up a 1970 FLH, mostly original, the tanks are not original. I wanted to make sure that using 5 gallon tanks was correct for that year.

Comment

Originally posted by hawghd1 View Post
            Thanks, I picked up a 1970 FLH, mostly original, the tanks are not original. I wanted to make sure that using 5 gallon tanks was correct for that year.
            Please be aware that the 3.5 gallon tanks were also available that year, and even later in the shovelhead years. A good friend owned a '76 FLH that had the 3.5's, original to that bike.
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I have a original 1970 FLH that I bought from my father. It is almost all original other than it has been painted a few times. It has 5 gallon tank on it. I am looking for someone to help me find original paint code or paint chip in Sparkling Blue and Birch White. Trying to restore back to as original as possible.

Comment

Birch White was still available from the factory a few years back, it might still be.
                VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                X