28 JD "74" Standard Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 JD "74" Standard Questions

Finally assembled and running but have a few questions. How much oil should be maintained in the crank case normally (ounces)? Installed new leathers on hand pump correctly and checked the oil tank check valve operation but still have oil coming up the manual pump handle when pulling up? When does generator kick in to charge battery (not at idle I noticed)? Have both head lamp and tail lamp connected at dash on same correct terminal, with switch on, tail light illuminates but head lamp doesn't, both have 6 volts available and both have excellent grounding (can hook battery to headlamp separately and it lights)?

Man, this is my first JD restoration and is surely interesting to say the least. Thanks in advance!

I am happy with somewhere between 4 and 8oz when I drop the oil. I always try to add 4oz of the fresh stuff. At 10oz it smokes.

Jerry

Comment

[QUOTE=Kip Kern;149979] Have both head lamp and tail lamp connected at dash on same correct terminal, with switch on, tail light illuminates but head lamp doesn't, both have 6 volts available and both have excellent grounding (can hook battery to headlamp separately and it lights)?

Maybe a stupid answer but did you try turning the light switch both directions? Thought my VL headlight wasn't working but one way is "park" with just the tail light on, the other direction both come on.
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Rich

Sure did with no results. Stud in dash heats up as tail lamp turns on and off when turning switch and headlamp is on same stud. Crazy and I'm a Journeyman Electrician!

Comment

Thanks Jerry, sounds like 6 oz. will work OK. Just have to figure out the pump handle issue this weekend. Love these bikes!

Comment

OK guys, with your help, solved the lighting problem, wrong stud (My Bad), silver soldered the splits in my pump handle and works now, have the correct amount of oil in the cases 4-5 oz. or 2.5 pumps. Now the carb is flooding while on jiffy stand so just ordered new float, needle, main nozzle, bowl nut sealing ring and will lower float to 1/2" or so. Thanks!

Comment

Are you getting your float from Cotton?
              Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Linkert/Schebler

Comment

Originally posted by Kip Kern View Post
                  Linkert/Schebler
                  Which one, Kip?

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Original D7 I think as well as a new needle, nozzle. Did lower the float level a bit (5/8") per Mike and now works great, just have to dial in the low speed and high speed setting on the Schebler DLX 45. Interesting beast, nothing like a Bing or Mikuni!

Comment

DL7, sorry

Comment

Kip!

If your float is indeed an 'elliptical' or "eccentric" DL 7, and of proper buoyancy, it should have worked best at 7/16"

Beware some ellipticals on the market that weigh three times what they should (attached).
                        Similar heavy Linkert floats are subject to swelling in modern fuels.

....Cotten
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotton, float works well. Just have to dial in the carb settings. Actually had it idling nicely on the side stand until I fiddled with it and messed things up! Maybe next time These carbs are something else for sure!

Comment

Working...
                          X