44/45 Indian Chief sidecar connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44/45 Indian Chief sidecar connections

Hi Just pulled the 44 chief Sidecar parts out after sitting for a long time & since I have never hooked one up I am trying to figure out the connections & what I may need So...... Does anyone her have pictures of how the unit connects to the bike so I can try & figure what is here & what I may need also any Indian manuals or links that show anyparts that connect & how the should be properly attached? Thanks in advance for any assistance
    JoeCIMG6722.jpg Oz
    Last edited by 45OZ; 07-28-2015, 05:37 AM.

Also are there any #'s on the frame with these?

Comment

2 things from your picture:
      I can't see the yoke for the top of your "Johnson Bar", which 5/8" fine thread slips through the frame just in front of the seat post.
      Can't see the axle for the wheel.
      Odd, the fender is similar to the one I got w/ my sidecar when I acquired. I wear a full-skirt, had to fabricate it.

Flop that frame over next to the bike (or a bare frame). Hang the front mounting bracket (check alignment on down-tubes to assure that it's Chief or Four). Attach lower yoke to bike's frame where the crash bar would normally bolt up, using the small yoke (size of your fist) with hinge part up. Last, place Johnson Bar in its clamps, and tilt it back to approximate position it would be in.

Sorry, no pix here. My greasy side's down, paint up. .. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
        2 things from your picture:
        I can't see the yoke for the top of your "Johnson Bar", which 5/8" fine thread slips through the frame just in front of the seat post.
        Can't see the axle for the wheel.
        Odd, the fender is similar to the one I got w/ my sidecar when I acquired. I wear a full-skirt, had to fabricate it.

Flop that frame over next to the bike (or a bare frame). Hang the front mounting bracket (check alignment on down-tubes to assure that it's Chief or Four). Attach lower yoke to bike's frame where the crash bar would normally bolt up, using the small yoke (size of your fist) with hinge part up. Last, place Johnson Bar in its clamps, and tilt it back to approximate position it would be in.

Sorry, no pix here. My greasy side's down, paint up. .. Anybody else?
        Thanks fillibuster
        I will look for the Johnson bar Yoke, axle is there, Open fender is for the 44/45, No Front crash bars with side car? Will give it a go,
        I also want to let ya'all know that I am not in front of Computer everyday so if I don't respond right away I am not being rude just not computer Chained LOL....
        Oz

Comment

Hi Oz,

Did you get what you need as far as pix? If not let me know and I'll snap some shots of mine and post. I have a '40 SC on a '47 Chief so the mounts might be a different than yours but the general idea should be the same. Mike
          Last edited by mike46chief; 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

G,day Oz , there should be a number on the bar that run parrallel with the bike in front of the rear axle casting , paint may make it hard to see

Comment

Check with Michael Breeding, check his site and email him, he has excellent reprints of the Chief setup and parts numbers. Also check classicsidecar.com excellent photos and descriptions also try Willards Sidecars site, good information.
              Lb

Comment

Originally posted by mike46chief View Post
                Hi Oz,

Did you get what you need as far as pix? If not let me know and I'll snap some shots of mine and post. I have a '40 SC on a '47 Chief so the mounts might be a different than yours but the general idea should be the same. Mike
                Hi Mike, any pics of the mounting and the springs would be a great help, I just picked up a repop late 40's sidecar.

Comment

Quote "Last, place Johnson Bar in its clamps, and tilt it back to approximate position it would be in."

What position should the Johnson bar be in when properly set up? Also, what are you adjusting as you rotate the Johnson bar into different positions?

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
                    Quote "Last, place Johnson Bar in its clamps, and tilt it back to approximate position it would be in."

What position should the Johnson bar be in when properly set up? Also, what are you adjusting as you rotate the Johnson bar into different positions?
                    Still looking for help with what position the Johnson Bar should be in when properly set up and what you are adjusting when you rotate it. A photo of someone's setup would be especially helpful.

Comment

Check with Michael Breeding, he has excellent reprints of the Indian Sidecar Material. Did you check Classic Sidecar....,.this very subject is a topic for discussion on Virtual Indian
                      Lb

Comment

Working...
                      X