Bob Stark has passed away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Stark has passed away...

Yesterday, at 0400 hours, June 29th, 2015, Bob left this earthly realm to join Shorty on more adventures. A true legend, he got me started on my '46 Indian build. Godspeed and Love to the Stark Family, and to everyone who ever had a chance to meet this fine man...Bones
    Please check this link for more Information: https://www.facebook.com/starklite

My deepest condolences to his family, and friends.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Bob was a great guy, he and Shorty were quite the pair. Bob was one of the reasons I became an Indian fan and a very big part of why I have any running Indians. He was always ready to help and friendly, he helped me several times over the years. I well always be grateful to him and remember their kindness to me and my family. One time about a decade ago, our chapter got the idea of trying to ride a real dirt road. You know like our machines had to deal with in their day. After some searching we found the Nate Harrision grade road, all dirt with switchbacks steap grades and no guard rails. Only about half the members tried it with their antiques, Max Bubeck was one of them on his four cylinder. Bob rode the ride on his red Chief with Shorty on the back the whole way ! When we got done, I was shaking and wore out on my Sport Scout. I was in 1st gear all the way and wonderd a couple times if I would make the turns - very little dirt riding on my Indians :-) I was just amazed that Bob had done the ride with Shorty on the back.
      Another time I was coming back from Borrego Springs in my 47 COE, I pulled over after making the pass and was taking a break. Bob and Shorty were on the run too and I remember thinking they both really did not look well. Really struggling to take part and stay active with the group. They saw me on the side of the road and turned back to check on me, even though they were not well - they stopped to help. Bob and Shorty were great folks and friends, I well miss em both.
      Last edited by Tom Lovejoy; 07-02-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I got started in this hobby when I acquired a '48 Chief and sidecar "basket case". I soon learned that Charley Mathre and Bob Stark were the west coast men to know for parts and advice.
        I never got to meet Charley in person, but I was glad to meet Bob at his Fullerton shop on a trip to CA with friends for the AMCA Meet and other stops. He welcomed us to his shop, showed us all around, took us for lunch in his '57 Ford Wagon. I learned a lot from him about getting my Chief going. On a second visit, knowing that I rode my Chief where speed and distance is in kilometers, he said if I sent him my speedometer (with repro. face plate) he would have his tech. install an original kilometer face and rework the speedometer accordingly - all for a very reasonable cost and quick turn-around. By this time I had acquired a second project - a 101 Scout in pieces with no speedometer among other things. He generously offered me a later Corbin at a very fair price and suggested I could use it to trade later for the one I needed - which I was able to do on the same trip. He also let us ride one of his beautifully restored Salisbury scooters. Where else could you get that opportunity? On a third visit, we saw his new operation in Perris, CA and were again graciously received by Bob and his always cheerful wife Shorty. This was the first time I saw much of his model airplanes and was impressed with the new paved landing strip at their new ranch. Bob and Shorty were always gracious and friendly whenever I saw them and he always had time to talk Indians and parts, which he was so dedicated to. I'm sure this is no different a story than countless others could tell.
        I always grinned when he said "bitchin''" or Adios!
        May he rest in peace with his partner now and enjoy the Indian trails forever.
        John Crawford

Comment

Working...
        X