• Show
Clear All

• Numbers correct transmission ?

I am starting to restore a 47 fl

the frame clockes out to be late 46 early 47
    cylinders dated 46
    heads dated 46

the question ? to stay #s correct
    what date should I start look for the transmission ?

I have a 45 trans..... I know that's to old

vin # 47FL427X

If it was my bike I would put together the transmission I had and worry about the 'correct' one later. Date codes are a non judgeable entity. As long as the transmission fits the general perception of being a 47 it is in.

Jerry

Originally posted by HDSTUNTS View Post
    I am starting to restore a 47 fl

the frame clockes out to be late 46 early 47
    cylinders dated 46
    heads dated 46

the question ? to stay #s correct
    what date should I start look for the transmission ?

I have a 45 trans..... I know that's to old

vin # 47FL427X

Comment

What is your Date code for 1945, H-D had cases on hand at end of June, ww2 over, they ramped up production late 45, say Nov-Dec, well past start of 46 production. All matching motor part numbers in 47= new production of motors. Trans case could be 45, 46 or even very early 47 date code. Just my thoughts. Shelby

Comment

I agree with Shelby and Jerry, most likely to be the original trans and if it's not, no consequence. Trans cases with 46 date codes are very hard to find and as your 47 is fairly early production, all is well.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

The transmission date code is ( k-5 ) so you guys think im good to go ? Thanks for all your help !

Comment

Something to consider is 1947 is a transition year to a downward facing lever on the lid and the cases were altered slightly to accommodate the change by flattening the bumps where the lever would operate.Look at any panhead era case and you can see the difference,Adam

Comment

There was a matching change on the top, I have several examples where the factory used a milling machine with end mill to create undercut till new castings were made. I had sent several to Bruce Palmer for him to do high quality photograph for new book. Shelby

Comment

If you have a late 46 frame, heads and cylinders look for a late 46 trans case. I would think anything August through Sept 46 would do. H-6, I-6 or J-6.
                Early 47's that I have seen in the past have date coded parts from that era. The I-5 Trans I have for sale like yours is most probably very late 45 early 46 production?
                Just my own personal opinion from what I have seen in the last 15 years since all this numbers tech has taken hold of the hobby. 46el

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
                  If you have a late 46 frame, heads and cylinders look for a late 46 trans case. I would think anything August through Sept 46 would do. H-6, I-6 or J-6.
                  Early 47's that I have seen in the past have date coded parts from that era. The I-5 Trans I have for sale like yours is most probably very late 45 early 46 production?
                  Just my own personal opinion from what I have seen in the last 15 years since all this numbers tech has taken hold of the hobby. 46el
                  Not to disagree with your comments. In my experience with the early transmission cases after the war, H-D ramped up production of cases which were ordered in batches ahead of the projected increase in sales for big twins. These cases were machined as needed after the batches were delivered to factory. The Date code is correct for the date cases were poured and is not an accurate guide for when it was machined, then assembled as a transmission and then finally when it was actually used in production of a motorcycle. By 1948 the case date codes would more closely follow production of machines but always lag behind.

I have many examples in the shop of damaged cases showing how the early cases were milled for clearance on side of screw bulge near top for new shift pattern and then the case mold was modified for later orders of case.

In my opinion getting the case code too close to production date of Motorcycle runs the risk of being technically wrong, but this is a minor issue unless we were talking about an original paint motorcycle of high value where proving everything original as it left the factory and must pass close inspection for correctness.

Questions like this are very educational to those having an interest in production history and changes. Full disclosure here, just because I was born in 1947, it was not on the H-D assembly line, my experience comes from all my years of building Knuckles and BTFH's starting first shop in 1968 only working on obsolete H-D's. Have fun with your project. Shelby

Comment

I'm sure I have built a small fraction of Harleys compared to you Shelby.
                    But I do agrees that it is a minor issue. And anything I did build I was always more interested in
                    something that functioned and looked correct and could be enjoyed for what it is.
                    I never ever was or wanted to become involved in Judging also.
                    Life to me is too short to drive myself nutz tying up a build looking
                    for a specific date code. But to each his own. 46el

Comment

Working...
                    X