29JD Oil Pump Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29JD Oil Pump Question

I have the oil pump turned all the way down and it still seems to be putting to much oil into the motor.
    After riding I drain the oil and there is consistently 6 to 7 oz of oil, I believe there should be around 3. Is there anything else I can do to lower the amount of oil be add as I ride.
    Thanks for any help

I think 6 or 7 oz is right for a late JD. I believe 3oz is right for early teens JD.

Comment

After riding I drain the oil and there is consistently 6 to 7 oz of oil,
      how many miles, at what speeds, alot of on and off the throttle?
      gww57.com

Comment

Are you using oil control rings on your Pistons?
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

The mileage has varied, but most of the riding is done being on and off the throttle, not at a constant speed. Just concerned that excess oil may cause excess heat in the motor. Also plug are a little black, not sure if this could being caused by oil or if the carb maybe to set a little to rich.

Comment

Are you using oil control rings on your Pistons?
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I think 6-7 ounces of oil drained is not excessive. You have to fill the crank cases with oil to get the engine logging and hot, and that takes maybe a pint. One of our Cannonball riders deactivated one piston on his 29JD oil pump by removing the return spring to accommodate high speed riding all day. Another dodge is to take out that rearmost 672-29 screw in the pump and replace it with a longer 038 or even 039 screw which holds the oil pump hinged swash plate more vertical and reduces the stroke of the little pistons. As Mark is suggesting, the factory oil pump settings are for when no oil rings were fitted to the pistons. Today we generally fit oil rings, so the engines burn less oil and late JD and VL bikes over-oil at the factory settings. It hurts to turn towards the 'less' direction on the pump controls, but that's what we usually have to do.

Comment

I do not know if they are oil control rings, it was just built but I need to get a hold of the person that built the motor.

Comment

On my JD the motor doesn't have any problems with too much oil until you get up to about 10 oz. I'm happy when I see 4 to 6 oz. Jerry

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I feel better about it now.
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X