1971 FLH Zenith Bendix Carburetor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 FLH Zenith Bendix Carburetor Question

I have a Zenith Bendix carburetor stamped 27152-71 A 13479. It is on a low miles original paint 1971 FLH. Unfortunately, one of the three tabs on the intake side has evidently been over tightened at some point and is cracked at the base of the tab and though the main body of the carburetor. I need to find a replacement and have seen several of the same carburetor models for sale on-line but with different letters other than A stamped on them. Am I correct in assuming the letter designates the size of the fixed jet? If so, where can I find information on what size jet the letters designate? Thanks

Shane,

Harley used letters (after part numbers) to designate revisions to the original part. XXXXX-71 notes the year the Motor Company designed/produced the part. The XXXXX-71A could have been revised in late '71 or even early '72! You'll sometimes see model specific parts with a earlier year part number fitting a model released the following year. ex XXXXX-73 fits a '74 and later year model. You can search the forum for more details on part numbers.

Remove your float bowl to see what jets are installed. Folks always changed jets trying to get more performance or when they changed the exhaust or air cleaner.

Regards,
    William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

I have a couple of FL Bendix carbs. I'll look and see what numbers. Jerry

Originally posted by Shane Briggs View Post
      I have a Zenith Bendix carburetor stamped 27152-71 A 13479. It is on a low miles original paint 1971 FLH. Unfortunately, one of the three tabs on the intake side has evidently been over tightened at some point and is cracked at the base of the tab and though the main body of the carburetor. I need to find a replacement and have seen several of the same carburetor models for sale on-line but with different letters other than A stamped on them. Am I correct in assuming the letter designates the size of the fixed jet? If so, where can I find information on what size jet the letters designate? Thanks

Comment

Are you saying the A is part of the -71 part number stamped into the round raised area on top of the carb, or into the idle tube?
        VPH-D

Comment

IMG_0542.jpg

It is stamped on the round boss on top of the body in between the two model numbers.

Comment

Here's a photo of an old Zenith I pulled off my '56. I have searched for Zenith designation codes and have not stumble across anything yet. Hopefully someone has info they can share.
            William

William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
            http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

The A stamped into the top of your carb is Bendix modification letter, not a suffix letter to the -71 number. I'm thinking your 71 must be a later production
              bike with the factory improved carb. Your main jet is probably stamped C66-143, and your idle tube should be an "A".
              Any Bendix carb that the factory used would work on your 71. The very late carbs had a fixed idle tube. Avoid the aftermarket 40 mm carbs. Some early XL models used a 36 mm carb, which will work on your 71. Look into the air cleaner end of the carb body at the roof of the carb throat, you'll see a 36 or a 38 in raised letters there.
              When you go to buy a rebuild kit, get the one made by Facet with the pinkish leather accelerator pump boot, it's the only one that works.
              VPH-D

Comment

Sorry but my Bendix carbs all have a -72 number.

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                I have a couple of FL Bendix carbs. I'll look and see what numbers. Jerry

Comment

Thanks guys for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                    The A stamped into the top of your carb is Bendix modification letter, not a suffix letter to the -71 number. I'm thinking your 71 must be a later production
                    bike with the factory improved carb. Your main jet is probably stamped C66-143, and your idle tube should be an "A".
                    Any Bendix carb that the factory used would work on your 71. The very late carbs had a fixed idle tube. Avoid the aftermarket 40 mm carbs. Some early XL models used a 36 mm carb, which will work on your 71. Look into the air cleaner end of the carb body at the roof of the carb throat, you'll see a 36 or a 38 in raised letters there.
                    When you go to buy a rebuild kit, get the one made by Facet with the pinkish leather accelerator pump boot, it's the only one that works.
                    VPH-D
                    Not to hijack this fine gentlemens thread, but what was the stock Bendix FLH fixed main jet size? Guessing 1.15 (or C66-143) as mentioned above?

Comment

I believe the 1.15 was stock for some of the time. We use 1.00 here in Colorado...
                      VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                        I believe the 1.15 was stock for some of the time. We use 1.00 here in Colorado...
                        VPH-D
                        Thanks. This bike came to me with a 1.05 and was very sneezy.... 1.15 sounds better for East Coast use...

Comment

Working...
                        X