Late 30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 30's

Hi, I'm a new member here, I'm traveling next weekend from Ma to Oley and eventually looking to buy a late 30's Flathead. I really don't know anyone here and am not very knowledgeable, are there any members I could meet up with and discuss the best way to go about my search and what I should look for? Thanks Rob
    Not sure why, but I cant seem to post in HD section.

I am a firm believer in ignoring everyone's advice and going after what I really want. Of course there are pros and cons to this advice. . . Mostly cons. At the end of the day, you have to satisfy yourself and if you settle for something else, you may loose all the air from your balloon. Having said that, you have set your sights on an era of motorcycles that are very popular, and desirable; albeit, expensive. I assume you are talking about big twin H-Ds, and possibly Indians. '36-'39 Harleys are very sought after and even though the world has knucklehead fever, that vintage of flathead (sidevalve) is still close behind in price. That same vintage of Indian is way up there too. It used to be that the pre skirted Chiefs took a back seat to the '40 and later Chiefs, but that has done a 180 degree switch and now the open fender Chiefs are the must have Indian. I don't mean to frustrate you, but if you want to play in the late 30s H-D, and Indian game, you have to bring a big wallet. For many, the panhead is the entry level bike into the Big Twin market. I have a '48FL, and a '51FL and I love them because they are great riders, and affordable, and easy to keep running. That is my nod to modern motorcycling because I don't really care for 30s vintage bikes, and quite honestly, I don't care for any motorcycle after 1924; but that's just me
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
    X