help/carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help/carb

Have 441 with a Shebler dlx 124. Can't keep bowl on as threads are gone. Need a good body, or complete carb,or M8,or something else that would fit. Looking for advice.
    Thank's A Bunch

Amish Boy!

Beware of bowlthread repairs that use pins that compromise the brittle potmetal.
    (Please post me direct at liberty@npoint.net for two alternatives (or three if you count welding up for just as cheesy threads; That address may be curtailed eventually by my podunk server, so alternatives are libertynightshift@yahoo, or @gmail.com, or @outlook.com)

Your DLX124 is highly desireable by folks with the previous year, so seeking out a trade upon this forum for a Linkert M441 may save you in the long run.

Happy to help if I can,

....Cotten
    PS: The more common "Beck replacement" are M441s restamped at the L&L factory, and far cheaper, since AMCA judges distain them. The attachment shows some of the 441 beneath it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If all else fails get in touch with the Indian 4 Club. Either repair yours, or as Cotton says, work out a trade for the 441 carb.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Jim Walther makes excellent thread repairs, he's the president of the indian four club, and has an ad in the AMCA magazine I think. He's in W. Virginia.

Comment

Rigb!

Is this a Jim Walther repair? (first attached).

(Correct me if I'm wrong...)

The thread problem itself is a result of potmetal "weissrost", a chemical change in the presence of water, etc., that renders it quite brittle and cheezy, along with "leadpest".
          (Second attachment)
          Further corrosion must be stopped if possible.

The devil is the torque applied to seal the bowlnut, which can 'pull' an appliance (third attached).
          Also attached is another 'economical' pinned aluminum repair, which distorted and failed, but at least did not fracture the casting.

I have alternatives that do not use pins, Folks, but only applicable if the bowlstem has not been compromised from previous attempts.

....Cotten
          Attached Files
          AMCA #776

Comment

Jim Walther did an excellent repair to my carb. You can see pictures on the website:

http://www.indian4club.org/ads.html

Scroll to the bottom. Great Job.

Comment

Oldchief!

Your link doesn't get me there.

I hold the belief that a pin of any sort is a "stress riser" waiting to happen.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Hi I do not have carb. to trade but would like to buy yours for my 440 thanks Bob

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Mr. Bob, can't sell carb unless I find m441 which I guess is what I am supposed to have. Meanwhile I will have Mr. Cotton do my repairs. I need to put a few more miles on before teardown. Would like to hear from a FOUR owner in Florida, as would like to compare notes and learn.
                  Blessings
                  Willie@1791.com
                  941-720-4320

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    Oldchief!

Your link doesn't get me there.

I hold the belief that a pin of any sort is a "stress riser" waiting to happen.

....Cotten
                    The link works fine for me. Just scroll to the bottom. No pin of any sort on the carb.

Comment

The link just blinks at me, Folks.

When enough threads can be "picked up" for re-cutting, I take them down to 11/16"-20 for special bowlnuts that I commissioned from FickauPrototypes.
                      This is the most economical approach.

However, quite often this is not possible.
                      When I developed my removeable appliance, I managed to keep the stub as meaty as possible. Even turning threads to 5/8" would be a compromise, so it is turned to 5/8" round, and retained internally with 7/16"-20 threads.

I also use a fuel-proof coating to prevent future corrosion over the entire bowlstem and bowl interior.

....Cotten
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-06-2015, 09:44 AM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Tom is right - pins are bad news! I don't use them. I've been doing the thread repair for about 15 years now and never had one come back. I've got nearly 20K miles on the DLX124 I repaired for my 440. There are a couple of guys out there doing good repairs on the pot metal bodies. Here's one I did recently - owner very happy after 001.jpgbefore 001.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X