Early Harley Tires Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Harley Tires Sizes

Am I correct in stating that a 1926 Harley would have 3.85x20 tires ? How about a 1917 ? I believe I have the correct rims for each of these,
    Does anyone have any used spares to sell - just for rolling around during rebuild ?
    thanks
    Dan

I faced this years ago. My rims measured 23 5/16" by 2 3/8", extreme outside to extreme outside.
    This is 23.31” x 2.38” The advice I received was:

“Your tire is listed as 28 x 3 even though the rim is actually measured at 22 inches [they are citing the inside drop where the tire bead would rest].
    Tires were listed by tire total diameter and width/depth. (This system was changed after in the 1930’s sometime.)
    A 22-inch rim + 3” +3” gives a 28-inch total.”

I bought all my rubber stuff from Coker Tire. Tire was 28x3 (CL) Coker Zig Zag/Ribbed black tire, item id 79200. Notice the CL for clincher.
    Tube was 28x3 TR-4 MS Cycle Tube, id 87090
    Rim strip was 17”-1 ½’ Rimstrip, id 89200

Another source of information about the Harley J's and JD's resides at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/harleyjd/info
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

i bought 1 inch diameter manila rope. wrap it around the rim till it sticks out past the edge. trim and glue the end to the rope under it. old garden hose will work also. Clinchers are either shot or good. if they are good nobody is parting with them.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
      X