1928 Indian Ace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 Indian Ace?

So I get the March-April magazine the other day. I'm thumbing through it and the picture on the bottom of page 77 catches my eye. "An Indian Ace! Cool," I think to myself. Then I read the caption... Granted, I'm a 4 Cylinder guy. But come on - even Wikipedia has this right! The Indian Ace came out in 1927 - it was advertised as, among other things, "The Collegiate Four" Indian introduced the first Indian 4 - the Model 401 in 1928. They're easy to tell apart, even for a novice - the Ace has a girder/spring fork, the 401 has Indian's signature leaf-spring fork. OK - maybe the caption had it that way in the 1990 magazine. If so, shouldn't there have been a sidebar or something with the correct information? Was there a correction in the next issue? Were other self-proclaimed armchair editor 4 Cylinder 'experts' up in arms? (hehehe...) There 's already enough bad information out there; the AMCA needs be sure that what appears in our magazine is correct.

Rev:

Your guess is correct. The unnamed author in the 1990 issue appears quite certain he was dealing with a 1928 model. Thanks for the clarification.

Bill Wood

Comment

Originally posted by wlwood View Post
      Rev:

Your guess is correct. The unnamed author in the 1990 issue appears quite certain he was dealing with a 1928 model. Thanks for the clarification.

Bill Wood
      Bill,
      The 1990 article and the page 77 photo of the 1928 Indian Ace in the March-April Antique Motorcycle are correct. As I posted in the Parking Lot Chatter section, while the Indian company bought the Ace assets in Dec. 1926, the 1927 bikes produced were badged as "ACE", in August 1927 for the 1928 model year they were basically the earlier Ace design with a modified lubrication system and were badged as "Indian Ace". In August 1928, they announced the "Indian 4" model 401 which had the Indian flat-spring fork and many other modifications as a 1929 model.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
      X