1915 3-speed clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1915 3-speed clutch question

I was changing the chains on my 1915 Harley three speed. I rotated the back wheel by hand and noticed the clutch drum has side to side wobble in it as it rotates. I have a couple of questions that may not be easy to answer in a post. I took a short video, but it is 26MB and it does not look like there is an easy way to attach it directly to this post without some type of video hosting account (which I do not have).

1. I have the Directory of Spare Parts, but it does not show clutch disassembly or stackup. Can someone point me to some documentation that show the process to remove the clutch components and then the drum that holds these parts?
    2. Can this be done with the transmission in the bike, or does it need to come out and done on the bench.
    3. Once everything is reassembled, what is the process for adjustment.
    4. Is clutch drum wobble normal, or is this the symptom of a worn bearing or other typical problem.
    5. Any special tools needed?

Info is a little scarce. Even some photos showing how things come apart would be helpful.
    Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
    1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Erik
    Assuming that you are using the correct Freewheel clutch for your 15, it sounds like it may just have too much end play in the bearings. You will have to remove the clutch from the transmission in order to disassemble and adjust it.
    Email me and I can go into more detail.
    Mark Masa
    Mark@linkcycles.com
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

It may be a one-year clutch so I'm not so sure, but the 305-15 bearing rollers are available at one and two thousandths oversizes. Later a 2500-19 thrust washer in various thicknesses was used behind the bearing to adjust clutch end float on the gearbox mainshaft.

Comment

Steve
        The 1915-1917 version of the Free-Wheel clutch used balls and not rollers.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark and Steve thanks for the replies. Also Mark good to talk with you on the phone. Brief update: I pulled the clutch for the first time. Was not too bad to disassemble it. It does not appear that it is the culprit at this time. A few measurements with the dial indicator with the clutch on and off the transmission seem to point at the transmission mainshaft.

IMG_7251.jpg

I pulled the transmission from the bike and attached the dial indicator to the transmission case. As I rotate the mainshaft I get 12 thousandths runout over rotation. So it looks like I will open up the tranny. Having never have done this before any pointers appreciated.
          Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63

Comment

Erik
            I have a 1916 service buletin somewhere that details the disassembly and reassembly of the gearbox. It is scanned as a PDF so I'll email it to you.
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi Mark,
              I found a copy of it in the AMCA document library. It will be helpful in tear down.

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
              Erik
              I have a 1916 service buletin somewhere that details the disassembly and reassembly of the gearbox. It is scanned as a PDF so I'll email it to you.
              Mark
              Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63

Comment

Eric,

I am about to dive into my '29 J transmission and I'm trying to get as much information as possible before starting. I looked on the AMCA library for the 1916 bulletin you mentioned but could not see it. Was is the 1916 workshop manual you were referring to?
                thanks

Martin

Comment

Dear Martin, Harley used the 3-speed gearbox 1915-36 with not too many changes. As Mark mentioned, the early transmissions had some special features but they settled down around 1919. As the engines became more powerful the transmissions were beefed up with longer rollers in 1925, necessitating a bigger main drive gear and longer mainshaft. In 1926 the interlock mechanism was simplified and the box got a new side cover. For 1930 the clutch went from two to three friction plates, needing a longer shifter arm. In 1931 the constant mesh starter was introduced, with a new side cover, and the stepped mainshaft and split bushings were finally changed for a smooth mainshaft and a bushing inside a new main drive gear. For 1932 the countershaft was beefed up with new needle rollers at one end and longer rollers at the other. It's a solid design and a well built box, but usually the slider gear is thrashed and all the bearings need changing. Many are now using the 1931 mainshaft and 1932 countershaft gear in the earlier gearboxes. My VL book has a rebuild procedure for say 1926-36.

Comment

Martin,

Look at the 1916 Harley Davidson Dealers Magazine in the virtual library. Starting on page two they detail teardown of the three speed transmission.

Mark and others,

I have confirmed my mainshaft is bent. I am going to attempt to straighten it. However as a backup plan I would like to locate a replacement. Does anyone have a good one for sale. Will the later JD mainshaft work?

Thanks,
                    Erik

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                    Dear Martin, Harley used the 3-speed gearbox 1915-36 with not too many changes. As Mark mentioned, the early transmissions had some special features but they settled down around 1919. As the engines became more powerful the transmissions were beefed up with longer rollers in 1925, necessitating a bigger main drive gear and longer mainshaft. In 1926 the interlock mechanism was simplified and the box got a new side cover. For 1930 the clutch went from two to three friction plates, needing a longer shifter arm. In 1931 the constant mesh starter was introduced, with a new side cover, and the stepped mainshaft and split bushings were finally changed for a smooth mainshaft and a bushing inside a new main drive gear. For 1932 the countershaft was beefed up with new needle rollers at one end and longer rollers at the other. It's a solid design and a well built box, but usually the slider gear is thrashed and all the bearings need changing. Many are now using the 1931 mainshaft and 1932 countershaft gear in the earlier gearboxes. My VL book has a rebuild procedure for say 1926-36.
                    Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63

Comment

Hi Erik,
                      Mark Silvernail has new shafts for 15's, fatboyhd2001@netzero.com

Comment

Working...
                      X