AMCA Board Approves Two New Chapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Board Approves Two New Chapters

AMCA is proud to announce two new Chapters bringing the club to a total of 61 Chapters and Counting.

The Bear Mountain Chapter is located in a Quad State location of New York bordering New Jersey with a short riding distance to Pennsylvania and Connecticut. The central location is near Bear Mountain in New York's Harriman State Park along the Hudson River. The Bear Mountain Chapter has approximately 45 members who take pride in being a Social Riding Club with rides about every three weeks during the riding season.

The Nevada Comstock Chapter is located in Western Nevada in the Carson City/Reno area bordering the Tahoe National Forest in California. The Club name traces its roots to one of the most important mining discoveries in American History, the Comstock Lode, which was the first major silver discovery in the United States that virtually ended the California Gold Rush. Riding in this part of the country lends itself to two drastic contrasting types, desert and mountain riding.

It's the local camaraderie of riding with friends that make these new Chapters the heart of the AMCA. The key to a successful Chapter in terms of "Having fun riding old motorcycles" can best be accomplished with a group of local friends who regularly get together. The AMCA is currently working with several groups around the country in forming new Chapters.

If you don't have a Chapter within 100 miles of your home, give me a call, I'd be happy to help you find more members in your area who share your love of old motorcycles. My information can be found on the AMCA Contact page.

Really? Another Northeast Chapter? This makes nine in the general area (I belong to four)...Yankee, Hudson Valley, Empire, Big Sand Bar, Colonial, Seaboard, Neshaminy, Perkiomen and Now Bear Mountain...
    Just an observation...

Comment

And that's a bad thing ?
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Would you like to belong to five?

Comment

Bill, I didn't say it was bad...just an observation...
          Larry, Depends on the Dues...(I'd put a smiley face here but I hate those things)

Comment

The Bear Mountain Chapter was started for people that may not belong to any chapter and were looking for local like minded people that enjoy regularly RIDING their bikes with others on back-roads that have little or no traffic in the N.Y., N.J. Pa. tri-state area. We try to be very active with frequent get-togethers either riding, meeting, or helping others out with parts or advice on their projects. We are trying to model our chapter like the ones from years ago where social activities, riding, and helping others were the focus. We have a few members that don't have an old bike, just a late model, but like the old bikes and enjoy riding at a slower pace to enjoy the scenery rather than blast down the highways. We also have a few younger members that join us on dual-sport bikes and enjoy the meetings and being a part of the social aspect of the club. Of course anyone is welcome whether a member of the Bear Mountain Chapter or not, with any kind or year of bike with open arms to join us on a ride or attend a meeting. As you do Hollywood, I belong to multiple chapters and will continue to do so to show my support for them. Oh, and it's only 20 bucks to join. LOL.
            Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 02-20-2015, 06:52 AM.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Thanks for the info Drew. I attended the Hudson Valley winter dinner in Round Top NY earlier this month and noticed participation was a little low this year with a few regulars missing. When I read about the Bear Mountain Chapter I thought that might have something to do with it. Unfortunately the Colonial Chapter dinner was the same night (I do both if I can) and I heard that participation there was low as well....
              I'll have to check you guys out this summer...Good luck with the new chapter!

Comment

D.A.Bagin, Does the bear mountain chapter have a website? What area do they typicaly ride?

Comment

The website should be up by June or before. We are working on our logo and want to have that done for the site. This has been a longer process than anticipated with the IRS but everything worked out great in the end. We typically ride in that Tri-State area of N.Y., N.J. Pa. utilizing all back roads with a 55mph limit and little traffic. Usually leave by 9-10am, have a lunch stop, and back by 4-5pm. Typically 125-175 miles or so. Usually have between 15-20 riders. We have been meeting in Pine Island N.Y. for the rides and then leaving from there. This is located on the Jersey border about 30 min. or so from the Pa. line by Port Jervis N.Y. and Rt. 84.

Hollywood, I think timing had a lot to do with the attendance at the dinners on the same day as I also try to make both of them and wasn't able to. Alot of people try to get away from winter at that time of year also and may have affected attendance also. I can't believe that forming of this chapter had anything to do with it as very few members are members elsewhere. Most are new joins to the National and this chapter.
                  Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 02-21-2015, 07:47 AM.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                    The Bear Mountain Chapter was started for people that may not belong to any chapter and were looking for local like minded people that enjoy regularly RIDING their bikes with others on back-roads that have little or no traffic in the N.Y., N.J. Pa. tri-state area. I belong to multiple chapters and will continue to do so to show my support for them. Oh, and it's only 20 bucks to join. LOL.
                    What is the difference between the Bear Mountain Chapter and the Hudson Valley Chapter? Seems like such an overlap there? Personally, I would have liked to see a chapter in the Bergen County area of New Jersey. Most of these "local" chapters are more than an hour away from where I am located. What is the difference between the AMCA dues and local chapter dues? I don't belong to any local chapters, just curious as I already pay my AMCA dues.

Comment

Most of these "local" chapters are more than an hour away from where I am located. What is the difference between the AMCA dues and local chapter dues? I don't belong to any local chapters, just curious as I already pay my AMCA
                      That's funny. My "local" chapter is five hours away. The next closest are ten and twelve hours away.
                      National dues have nothing to do with chapter dues, two separate entities.
                      And there could be two different chapters in the exact same location if folks wanted them. Just like the clubs in the old days. Some chapters like riding, some like shows and swap meets. Join the one (or ones) that suit your needs.
                      Last edited by Rubone; 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I think it's important to support a chapter. I left one chapter, and joined another and it cost me $10.00. That is dirt cheap considering how much the volunteers do, and even if you only go to one weenie roast, it's money well spent. I'm not trying to 'guilt' anyone, in any way because that is a decision you are totally entitled too. It's just a nice way to possibly meet some people with a common interest.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

The Bear Mountain Chapter often meets in West Milford, very close to Bergen County.

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
                            The Bear Mountain Chapter often meets in West Milford, very close to Bergen County.
                            I'll agree that the Bear Mountain chapter is closer than the Hudson Valley chapter for me. But I still think that a chapter for the areas of Bergen/Passaic/Hudson/Essex counties would attract people because these areas are densely populated.

Where in West Milford do they meet? Is that the starting point for rides?

Comment

Originally posted by HD48FL View Post
                              I'll agree that the Bear Mountain chapter is closer than the Hudson Valley chapter for me. But I still think that a chapter for the areas of Bergen/Passaic/Hudson/Essex counties would attract people because these areas are densely populated.

Where in West Milford do they meet? Is that the starting point for rides?
                              We meet at the Pioneer Bar and Grill on Warwick Turnpike in Hewitt, (Upper Greenwood Lake), N.J. usually on a Sunday at noon. You listed Passaic County as one of your areas and that is where we meet. I lived in Bergen county for almost 50 years and one of the reasons we meet where we do, is because there is not the hustle and bustle of Rt. 17 or Rt. 4 where the speed limit is 50 or so, and they blast by you at 75 on the shoulder, blowing the horn and saluting you, if they are in a hurry to get to church. We don't want any of that insane traffic that is not conductive to riding an old bike with 15-20 other riders. Our Vice President, Angelo Di Censo, rides his Pan from White Plains in Westchester to the meetings. Bob Hoene, our Treasurer, rides from Piermont ,N.Y. As soon as they reach Rt. 17 in Suffern/Sloatsburg they take all back roads. As you stated that area is extremely densely populated, something we try to avoid.

We usually meet for the rides at the meeting place or about 15-20 minutes from the meeting location out in Pine Island, N.Y. but will be changing up the meeting place periodicly for rides this season. We will try meeting up at the tower on Perkins Memorial Drive by Bear Mountain in Harriman State Park to do some rides near there or on the other side of the river.

I don't know where you live in Bergen, but it is only a ride out Rt.208 to Skyline Drive, at the end turn right on Greenwood Lake Turnpike and follow past the reservoirs, go thru Greenwood lake and keep right at the deli and go straight up the mountain to the meeting place. It's located on the right at the only traffic light up on top of the mountain .Take you on an old bike about 45 mins. or less to get there depending on where you are. I don't know how much more convieniant it needs to be for you but PM me your contact or e-mail me and I'll let you know when the next meeting is. Right now, it looks like Sunday March 22nd I think it is, but will confirm this.
                              Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 02-22-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X