springer on shovel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• springer on shovel

Hey, I got another project going. Im missing the entire front end however, I have a stock inline hd springer sittin around for yrs now, brakes, axle, light, wheel assy. tire.
    I mounted it cause I had everything I needed laying around, it looks killer. question, Do I need an off set springer?
    or will this one work as far as rake and trail, anyone with experience in this...........

It will work but the bike will sit low in the front and the handling will be a bit heavy at low speeds. Running an 18 or 19" wheel/tire will help the handling but not the height. Keep in mind a springer is shorter than a Hydra-Glide fork by a couple inches and the added rake without the offset makes it seem even a bit more.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

hmmmm, okay, bike is sitting perfectly level, after reading your reply I went out and looked again, broke out my books, and, well I never measured this swap meet bought springer, looked stock, while it is oem it aint as it turns out stock. Someone did a really good job extending these forks. They are actually 2" over stock. Done so well I cant see where work was done. (which is a bit worry some) Still has fender mounts. Cant believe I never spotted it. Been hanging on my garage wall for 15 yrs. Go figure. As it turns out, very lucky....
      thnx. Rubon

Comment

I wonder if someone makes a 3 degree rake setup for this style springer. Not the cups but in the top tree and bottom stem bearing. Seems to me I remember something like this, maybe not....

Comment

Maybe you have a factory long fork.
          VPH-D

Comment

As VPH-D says, there are factory forks ('40 and '41 WLA, '42 XA, '42 ELC) that came with forks approximately 2-3/8" inches longer than stock, the extra length is visible in the upper reinforcement sleeve.

Here is a standard WL fork and an early WLA
            Last edited by Rubone; 12-23-2014, 07:37 AM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Well I'll be danmed. Live and learn new things. Mine looks like the one in pic. Upper reinforced rigid leg area. Did not know those differences, even if it hadn't worked it was worth the info. Thnx. P.s, there are no dumb questions, just ones not asked. Not to proud to be learning new stuff, thnx again.
              Last edited by poorbiker; 12-23-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poorbiker View Post
                hmmmm, okay, bike is sitting perfectly level, after reading your reply I went out and looked again, broke out my books, and, well I never measured this swap meet bought springer, looked stock, while it is oem it aint as it turns out stock. Someone did a really good job extending these forks. They are actually 2" over stock. Done so well I cant see where work was done. (which is a bit worry some) Still has fender mounts. Cant believe I never spotted it. Been hanging on my garage wall for 15 yrs. Go figure. As it turns out, very lucky....
                thnx. Rubon
                Pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

I have a friend with a swingarm shovel frame with a stroker motor running such a fork with a 7/8" neck, making it an early WLA front fork. He used the kit from V-Twin top mount it. It sits pretty much level so you should have no problem. If you go to knucklebuster1939.blogspot.com and do a search you can see how Hollywood did the installation of a 7/8" fork in a 1" frame, great pics and commentary.
                  Lonnie Campbell #9908
                  South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

20141223_164411.jpg20141223_171538.jpg20141223_164759.jpg20141223_164819.jpg
                    Pics of length and mount. Problem with the wla forks mentioned is my neck stem is 1". The next pics show where someone way back boxed in the neck, smoothed it. Was worried bout what I would find but after removing plate and grinding out weld looks good.

Comment

20141223_171618.jpg20141221_160108.jpg20140316_115405 2.jpg20141223_132421.jpg
                      Some radom pics, one of my knuckle, one of my x-mas present from the fire boys at work, strapped on to my sissy bar, got picture happy. and pics of neck restoration.
                      Last edited by poorbiker; 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

If no one is there to smell you, does that mean you dont stink!

Comment

XA and ELC have 1" stems....
                          You can set them up with Timkens or run stock balls. All the standard hardware fits with Timkens needing a few tweaks..
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Huh, I actually did set it up with timken, had some cups laying around already setup, no dust shields yet. I havent done timken before with an early springer I think its just a normal set up, I think. Not sure about the cone nut.

Comment

If you have a 1 inch stem and big twin rockers with the 2 plus extension as shown in your pics then it's an ELC fork (Canadian Knuckle).
                              I use one on my 41 TT style Knuckle...see pic. Should work fine...
                              41FLTT left side crop.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X