1938 U Flathead Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 U Flathead Build

I am currently building a 1938 U Flathead.

It will be an ever-growing build trying to bring it back to Stock.

Building a bike like this at 30 years old these days without a disposable income can prove tedious.

Many of you have probably seen me at many of the meets hounding for prewar parts for this bike.

For this very reason I have begun with a "Functional" stock build.

My personal definition of this is : utilizing Factory OEM parts components that interface with one another to make a running/riding machine.

As a result this is what I am beginning with.

1938 U Motor, Matching Bellies, Good Numbers
    M51 Carburetor
    Early 1941 Frame (backbone bent to change rake to accommodate the new wheel size)
    1950 Panhead 4 Speed (although I am currently in the works of buying a 1938 4 speed)
    An early Panhead rear fender
    Stock 1937 Tanks (I believe this dude to the smooth inside of the left hand tank which I have seen on all 37's)
    a 4" over early 40's big twin Springer

A modified stock rocker clutch, where a big twin bracket was shaved down to fit a 45" Rocker lever, and hardware. Its functional and saved me a lot in comparison to a 1938 one.

Ill be running an internal 1.5" Belt drive inside a stock primary case.

A Bates sprung solo seat(i cant bear to run a pan seat on this bike)
    There are also a few other chopper parts kicking around on it as well.

I intend to lace a 19" VL Kelsey Hayes Rim to a 43-up style Star hub for my front wheel. No front brake due to my springer not having the support brackets anymore.

a 16" 43-up rear star hub with Mechanical brake in rear

My handlebars are not determined yet, but I am considering a flanders clamp with 4" risers and pan style bars with stock spirals.
    I would love to run some Springer bars, Im just not sure if it will happen yet. Id love a set, but I dont want to splurge on a pair unless I know they are 38' correct for sure.

I think as the AMCA scene ages, and people my age and younger are beginning to build stock bikes, you will see more and more bikes like this. I would love to run a proper correct 1938 74" Flathead, but for the time being I can still enjoy my power plant, and stock components. At the end of each season I will bolt on my seasonal period correct spoils, and see how long it takes to fully complete.

Any input/critiquing/criticism is appreciated as long as it is constructive (i.e. dont be a jerk haha)

If you go to the meets you will see me on this this year, sorry for not having any pictures with the proper tanks(or the rocker clutch for that matter), but this is where im at currently.

01.jpg02.jpg04.jpg
Working...
X