Harley sidecar manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley sidecar manufacturers

We have talked about this before but here is what I think is HD sidecar history:
    Rogers supplied the 1914 sidecars
    Seaman produced the bodies for the 1915-1924 sidecars
    Charles Abresh corp produced the 1925-1966 bodies
    Goulding produced the 1929-'52 45" sidecars with Abresh acting as middleman with HD
    HD Tomahawk plant made the fiberglass bodies from 1967 on
    Abresh made the Steel Servicar bodies
    HD made the fiberglass Servicar bodies
    --here is info on the 1915 sidecar lamp-2"white front lens,2 oblong side lenses,3/4" ruby rear lens
    sidecars.jpg

Here's one of those discribed sidecar lights in the flesh.
    Attached Files
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

very cool Tommo ,I didn't think anybody would have that!

Comment

Yes Tommo, Very nice piece and looks to be in great shape for a 100 year old light to!
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I heard that Australian bikes ordered with sidecars arrived with just the Harley frame, then a local manufacturer made the bodies.

Comment

I think the frames also were manufactured at Seaman,Abresh,& Goulding
            The 1915 HD sidecar catalog says the wheel hub was HD manufacture -maybe nothing else was made in house
            How many years was that light used?I think I have seen one-possibly Anamosa museum?

Comment

Its still in the 1920 Accessory catalogue.
              My one is slightly bent in the stem as they are very vulnerable mounted low down out of sight behind the sidercar body.
              Attached Files
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

The 1925 Accessory catalogue shows this light but I don't have any catalogues for 1921,22,23 or 24 so I don't know when the swap over occurred.
                I do have a light like the 1925 one but it does not have a switch in the stem.
                I'll photograph it and add it later.
                Attached Files
                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Thanx Tommo ,the gas lamp option is interesting-not shown in the '15 sidecar catalog
                  It's nice to be able to have an around the world discussion about this stuff
                  1915 harley sidecar015.jpg
                  Last edited by duffeycycles; 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Here's the light I have with no switch in the stem.
                    It may not even be HD but it sure looks very much like the one in the 1925 Accessory catalogue
                    Attached Files
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Very similar,the HD one has a faceted lens in the picture above and the body is different
                      Here is Solar sidecar lamp from 1923 MECO catalog-Motorcycle equipment co.-Hammondsport NY& Los Angeles,CA
                      Sidecar lamp-solar.jpg

Comment

Duffy and Peter, Here's one for ya. This is NOS with a lot of shelve wear but still looks great for 90 years plus. This is going on my 22 sidecar fender. I've got to assume that the manufacture made this in a right or left version as to the direction of the out look window. As you can see in the pictures, the out look lens has yellowed. It is not plastic but cellulose film. The jeweled red lens and front lens are glass. Duf as you pointed out in the MECO catalog. I'm going to see if I can find any info in my collections of Gotham Sporting Goods catalogs today. Peter, it's been a while. I hope your health and spirits are high. Bob L
                        Attached Files
                        AMCA #3149
                        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob, would that light mount on the top of your fender, and do you bend the legs to suit the fender radius?
                          Duffey, thanks for starting this thread. This is great information on a subject that is sadly neglected.
                          Peter, so glad to see you back, you were very much missed.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I got to assume that's exactly what you do. The moment I read your post alarm bells went off in my head and I ran out to the shop floor to see if there was a raised bead down the center of the fender. There is not. All is good again. Think the little light would look good painted Brewster Green to match the fender. Bob
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob, The health is not that bright and thanks very much for asking, but every day above ground is a good day, I just live to see the sunrise and to enjoy whatever the day serves up.

Eric, I've never been away, I just haven't found anything that I felt a need to respond to.
                              This and the Vintage Norton site are the only sites that I use on the internet and it does irk me when people direct questions asked on here to other sites.
                              I'd rather see this site grow but maybe I'm just an old fart living in the past, that doesn't do facebook and all that other stuff.
                              Anyhow lets talk sidecars.
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                              X