Pictures - Elkins, WV National Road Run - Allegheny Mountain Chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures - Elkins, WV National Road Run - Allegheny Mountain Chapter

As our first national run, this event exceeded our expectations. The welcoming banquet couldn't have been in a more perfect setting. Excellent food, great service by the staff and a stunning view at the Graceland Mansion (No, not related to Elvis). Day one's 220 mile ride started with a zero percent chance of rain but as with most mountain ranges in higher elevations, there is always a chance of rain and we hit some light stuff but it didn't last long. Had a low ceiling that day so high on the ridge tops we were fogged in as you will see. The next two days were rain free and perfect riding weather on awesome roads which left us wondering how a seemingly poorer less populated state in the salt-belt can have such beautiful roads even in the middle of nowhere. On Monday evening under a perfect sky, the Elkins community planned a bike show for us in the square. There was a Bluegrass band and a great food BBQ all included. This was a real highlight.

Day 2's ride was a 170 mile loop to famous Blackwater Falls and Seneca Rocks and then an option to go to the Green Bank Observatory where they listen for signals from outer space. Tuesday evenings activities included a ticket to the American Mountain Theater right next door to the hotel which was an entertaining singing and comedy type show similar to what you would find in Branson MO.

Day 3 ride was around 120 mi through historic towns of Philippi and Grafton as well as a ride through a Civil war era covered bridge and a photographer took photos of each bike coming through the bridge. Then on to a rest/gas stop at Cool Springs which had a large collection of bikes due to the shorter route.

There was a wide open huge trailer parking area behind the hotel in a vacant lot which really made life easy for all who trailered. The hotel lot was large enough to accommodate many trailers as well.

West Virginia Motorcycle Safety program provided the sweep truck and driver all three days. Every facet of the WV state, town of Elkins, and county bent over backwards to make sure the organizers and attendees knew we were welcome. I will be going back to Elkins in the future. Nice town.

Pictures - Flip Format
    http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/ma...l%20Road%20Run

Slide Show Format
    http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/ma...l%20Road%20Run

I will be loading descriptions for some pics as I get time in the next couple days.
    Last edited by Skirted; 09-15-2014, 07:52 AM.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Great job on pics. I had a great time on the run.
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

Wow, what a fantastic road run. Thank you Jason for taking the time, and effort to make those great pictures available for us to see. I hope that your chapter wants to do that again, and I really hope I can go on a future ride.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Great pics of a great Road Run. Road Runs are the best-kept non-secret of the AMCA. And the Allegheny Chapter did a superb job of setting up this one! My thanks to all those chapter members.
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Fantastic photos, thank you!
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. For us that weren't able to be there it gives us and idea how beautiful that area of the country is. Very nicely done. Thanks again.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Have ridden in spectacular scenery at Road Runs over the years have never had a venue like Richard and his team lined up for both our intro and parting festivities at that mansion. It was simply unmatched and the food likewise. For many of us, the evening parking lot festivities are of equal - if not more important what with reacquainting with old friends and new (very nice to meet you JasonZ) - if not more important than the day's ride and this one was exemplary in that regard.

As Richard said, his gratification for their efforts was rewarded by the smiles of the participants and mine was plastered on with the unwavering consistency of Jack Nicholson's as The Joker in Batman throughout this well run event.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
              X