My 1930 Chief needs a front wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1930 Chief needs a front wheel

Well, I've got an engine, trans, frame, fork & nice aluminum tanks. Kent Thompson has been a great help with bits & pieces and will continue to be. I'm having trouble finding a (preferably) complete 19" front wheel. OK, I'll settle for just a rim for starters. I think '30 or '31 light or heavy spoke models would work as long as I can find a matching hub (that's why I'd like to get one complete). I need brake, axles, the works if anybody can give me a lead. Also need a rear brake drum (external band) & center axle for the rear. I know this is going to take awhile but I'm having a great time trying to find stuff and really appreciate any leads I get. Thanks. Mike

Mike,

Be patient! I started with about 25% of a 1931 chief almost 25 years ago and now it is 99% complete with very nice parts, just waiting for my time to put it all together......

The front rim is the hard part to find. 30 and 31 chiefs were the only years for 19" rims, 30 had lighter spokes and nipples than 31. So, a 1 year rim only. The hub assembly is the same as 101 and 4 cyl. through 30. Also, the junior scout used the narrow Timken hub and the backing plate and brake are the same but the stabilizer arm is different, can be changed to the early style. So, expand your search on the hub. I believe replicant metals makes a 19" rim:
    http://www.replicantmetals.com/slide...-30/index.html Probably doesn't have the staggered spoke pattern you need but that can be tweeked by a good wheel shop.

Good luck!
    Gene

Comment

Thanks, Gene. Once again you've come through with invaluable help. There is so little written about the specs & parts on the early Chiefs, those of you who have been down this road are my only hope. I think I'm pretty patient, but I'll be dead in 25 years! So I hope my project doesn't take quite as long as yours. Sounds like I'm best off sticking with the light spoke model for better availability. I went to Davenport this year hoping to, at least, see & photograph details of a 30 or 31 Chief but there wasn't one there - or at the National Motorcycle Museum. I'd sure like to see some detailed photos of parts like the front & rear brakes so I'd least have an idea of what I'm looking at when I see stuff available. I could make the fenders if I had a piece of one & some measurements. Thanks again. Mike

Comment

Working...
      X