Need help putting on new tank brackets for a 1973 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help putting on new tank brackets for a 1973 FLH

Need help putting on new tank brackets for a 1973 FLH on a new set of gas tanks. Any measurements for proper bracket placement?

Have all brackets been removed?

Comment

No, I purchased different used tanks that had no brackets on them. I bought a pair of new aftermarket tank brackets to be welded on and need measurements for proper placement. My original tanks started leaking years ago and had to repaired on the average every 2 years. When I put The FLH together back in the early 90's I had the tanks professionally coated at a radiator shop in Davenport, Ia. and picked them during the antique bike swap meet. After about 12-15 years the right side tank began to leak along a seam where the factory crimped the metal about half way up on inside of the tank where the tank fits next to the frame. I repaired it and after that my problems began, until this year. I had the bike rewired and the other side of the tank started leaking where they solder a hole or patched it with lead. It was over the front cylinder. The coating is breaking down and every time I ride it the carb gets particles in it, to the point that I have to take the needle out and blow out the gas passage to keep it running. I bought a pair of tanks off ebay for $60 and the tank brackets. My son-in-law is a welder. We have measured the old tanks that still on the bike but he wants conformation what we are doing is right before he welds them on. Thanks for your response. I hope someone can help us, so I can get the new tanks painted on the bike to get a few more ride in before winter sets in.

Comment

Working...
      X