Sportster lower tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster lower tree

I have several mid-1960's Sportster front fork triple tree clamps and all have the welded and drilled fork lock plate on the bottom. When installed, this vertical plate matches the cast and drilled anchor landing on the frame. I know that these anchor mounts were on XL frames as early as 1962, so I assume that the '64 XLCH models had the lockable triple trees, but my memory is not what it once was and I'm second-guessing myselfe.

My Sportster parts book is a later one that runs through 1965, and it lists P/N 45701-54A as correct for 1958 through 1964, with a change to P/N 435702-57 in 1965. The casting number on the part, which is most often different than the P/N, is 45707-52A, so not much can be learned there. Besides, the lock plate was welded onto the part and not incorporated into the casting.

Can anyone inform me as to what year this lock plate was first used? I just want to confirm my opinion (and my memory of when I originally got the bike many years ago) that this is the correct triple tree for the 1964 XLCH.

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

My '65 XLCH doesn't have it. I believe it to be original.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Bill, my 65XLCH doesn't have it ether and front end is original to the bike. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

You guys are sopt-on. I looked at some pictures of a very nice 1964 CH that I took at Oley in April and there is no lock plate. I also found some other old pics that I had on CD and found some old XLCH photos that I forgot I had. Also, I forgot that the anchor mount on the frame was originally for the sterering dampener anchor plate bolt-up. So - I painted the wrong triple tree....

Thanks for the input....
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Triple Tree Lock Tab

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
          You guys are sopt-on. I looked at some pictures of a very nice 1964 CH that I took at Oley in April and there is no lock plate. I also found some other old pics that I had on CD and found some old XLCH photos that I forgot I had. Also, I forgot that the anchor mount on the frame was originally for the sterering dampener anchor plate bolt-up. So - I painted the wrong triple tree....

Thanks for the input....
          The lock tab was first incorporated on the 68 triple tree. You can grind them off for earlier year (54 to 67) fitment.

Comment

There is no lock plate on my lower tree on my 64 XLCH. The dampener is on the loop on the frame as you stated. And I know the history of my bike. Bill's Custom Cycle had a stack of original parts books about a year ago at a fair price fo the 55-65 Sportster.
            Jim D.
            Jim D

Comment

Working...
            X