Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal throttle

Gentlemen,

On my 1970 FlH Shovelhead I use a S&S carburetor, but I want to keep the internal throttle.
    What are the options?

Thanks,

Joe

You don't say what style S&S. I ran both an L series and a B series on my '69FL. No issues, you already have a pull type throttle, the cable rests in the boss on the carb. You may need to change cable lengths and routing. The air cleaner clears 5 gal tanks on both these carbs. I made customs footboard extensions so it was more comfortable and not a bent leg while riding. I am not familiar with anything newer than the B series.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I think a 70 has the push throttle. You will need a 56220-58 spiral to convert to a pull throttle.
      VPH-D

Comment

Hi VPH-D,

Thank you for your respons.
        Do I need a wire- or solid cable?
        Or anything else like a "conversion kit"?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Sorry, should have looked, agree-push is stock.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The only conversion kit I can think of is to use a post 74 external cable set up. Your 70 has an internal solid wire throttle cable. You would use the -58 spiral to convert your stock throttle to pull open an S&S carb. I have run the L, B, and the E series of carbs myself, but never with a stock throttle. The E carb is the best by far, especially in the bottom end.
            VPH-D

Comment

Where can a person get the part to convert.
              Thanks

Comment

Where can a person get the part to convert.
                Thanks

Comment

Contact Chuck at Kick Start in Michigan, I believe has has the correct spiral. Also, I think the part was used on lightweights, so you might try Hummer suppliers. Don't get confused and buy the -47 spiral, it won't fit your bars.
                  VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                    Contact Chuck at Kick Start in Michigan, I believe has has the correct spiral. Also, I think the part was used on lightweights, so you might try Hummer suppliers. Don't get confused and buy the -47 spiral, it won't fit your bars.
                    VPH-D
                    Thanks for the info, I will contact him.

Comment

I'm running an S&S B on my '68 using the stock wire cable and throttle. I added an L shaped bracket that holds the cable in position. This bolts to the manifold and PUSHES the throttle plate open, instead of the usual pull. The bracket has a hold tapped for a 8 or 10-32 screw that claps the cable to the bracket and allows for minor adjustment. Cable comes around left side of frame. Seems to work fine, so far.

Hope that helps.

Fred

Comment

I have ran an S&S "G" and a "B" as well as my current Mikuni with an early style internal throttle.
                        I replaced the cable housing with a generic metal housing from a lawn mower shop as you can get it pretty long. (I run apes) then use 4' sections of shrink tubing and overlap each section by about an inch. You can use two layers for extra protection. For the actual cable. I used 1/16th inch diameter cable from home depot and tin the ends with solder. For the carburator end, I use a barrel end with a set screw available at Napa. Be sure to lube the housing with graphite or silicone prior to inserting the cable.
                        I may have some pictures if you like.
                        Good Luck,
                        Gonzo

Comment

BTW,.... I also use a internal on the left side to advance and retard the timing. There are two different internal assemblies. One will push one will pull.
                          Gonzo

Comment

Working...
                          X