Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allegheny mountain chapter national road run Elkins WVa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allegheny mountain chapter national road run Elkins WVa.

Allegheny Mountain Chapter National Road Run Elkins WVA

West Virginia. Wild and Wonderful. The Allegheny Mountain Chapter is sponsoring the first ever AMCA National Road in WVA situated in the city of Elkins September 8-10, 2014. Come join us and ride through the spectacular valleys and scenic roads of the Mountain State. Many scenic stops like fabulous Blackwater Falls and Seneca Rocks await you. Our Road Run is scheduled after Labor Day and before the leaves change so we should have the roads almost to ourselves. The registration form for the Road Run is on page 41 of the May/June issue of the magazine. Rooms at the host hotel, Holiday Inn Express, are almost sold out so make your reservation soon and register for the Road Run at the same time. Rooms at other designated hotels are still available. If you have attended our previous National Road Runs in Seven Springs and Wellsboro, you know this is great opportunity to meet up with old Road Run buddies and meet new ones too. If you have never ridden your old bike on WVA roads, we can guarantee you will have a big smile on your face at the end of each days' ride. Relax at the end of the day with old and new friends, have a brew or two and talk about old bikes. Does it get any better? And you will be riding in a State and the city of Elkins that is friendly to all motorcyclists and whose hospitality is second to none. Again we guarantee you will feel welcome here. For first timers on a National Road Run, the camaraderie that you experience will long be remembered and inspire you to soon plan for your next National Road Run. And please don't forget to encourage an AMCA friend to join you. Arrival and registration at the host hotel, Holiday Inn Express, is on Sunday September 7 between Noon and 5 PM. At the time of registration, all participant drivers will be required to present written proof of liability insurance for each motorcycle to be ridden. Any questions? Just e mail me rspagnolli@aol.com

Click for National Road Run Page

Click for printable registration form

Thanks.
    Richard
    Last edited by WebKahuna; 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM.
    Richard Spagnolli
    AMCA #6153

Howdy Richard,

Bagged a hotel room at first mention of this run, will now register. It's been over 35 years since I traversed WV going to from college in NC on I 77 and it was essentially a 2 lane road with the bed graded to interstate specs and normal entry and exits. Beautiful scenery then, sure that remains, looking forward to it. Going to make it part of our big loop down to Daytona to see the Cannon Ballers off on their great adventure.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Great to hear you have Elkins WV on your schedule Peter. This will be my first National Road Run and am really looking forward to it.....and meeting you as well. The Elkins area in general and routes planned for the Run offer some of the most spectacular scenery in the east and is guarenteed to offer great roads and riding experiences. For a new comer like me, I am priveledged to be associated with the team of veteran riders who are planning this event.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I am have been booked at the hotel for months and am registering tomorrow. Can't wait for the great roads in WV.
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Well howdy Jason,

Thanks and I think you'll discover this to be the core of what the AMCA represents absent of the flinty eyed commerce of swap meets and the apparent angst of judging of late. Blokes (and blokets) reveling in the pure joy of feeling the wind in their faces astride machines often resurrected from moldy plies of inanimate parts now whisking them through tree covered lanes with groups of like minded enthusiasts. Have done many of these over the last 20 years and I'd advocate doing them solo (naturally with your significant other if applicable) just so you can fall in with different riding groups than your familiar squadron from back home if in attendance. That way you are introduced to folks from literally all corners of the globe. Pull up to a rest stop with one group, hang out and then depart with another, the variety is captivating. A group of not more than 5 to 6 running offset staggered seems more relaxing and adept at making the occasional stoplight with less drama. Bear in mind, you may be surrounded by folks who ride thousands of miles a year...but it is not aboard foot clutch hand shift machines and, despite their dismissal of that nuance, it's not the same. Be mindful of those potential rugby scrums where the unwary attempt to deal with decreasing radius up hill tight turns or even traffic lights in town when traveling in larger groups.

I'm just now starting to get my pics from these events online, below is a start....and I might add after attempting to ride with a particularly adept group at KY aboard my beloved Knuckle and coming up frustratingly short in the twisty bits, a Chief - the product of an engineer and an athlete way back when and never losing that tight cohesive feel at the helm - is juuuuust right for W. Va.'s roads.

http://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/AMCA-Road-Runs
          Cheerio,
          Peter

Comment

Peter you are so right. I went to my first Road Run several years ago by myself not knowing anyone. I came home with several new good friends. I have been on your website and read many of your forum posts. It was a pleasure meeting you in KY on the last run. I even met a guy who I had done business with on the World Wide Web and it was nice to meet them in person.
            Can't wait for WV!
            Bob Selph
            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
            1940 Sport Scout
            AMCA#15215

Comment

Howdy Bob,

And likewise kind sir. Though my wingman joined me on his Sportster later in the week I was the loan Confederate chapter representative. Instead of falling in with Rocky Halter's crew after Monday a motley crew sort of coalaced to include two multi-Cannon Ball riders and with the exception of myself all current/ex-racers, we did not hang about as the Britsh would say.

On the surface not being able to find our way out of a wet paper bag map wise (had sorta questioned the math when one of the Cannon Ballers said he'd ridden nearly 4,000 miles on the last one....thinking that one was less than 3,000) might seem a liability but it turned out to be a grand adventure in which we nearly missed the banquet having nearly added 60% more mileage to the official tally and discovered some very cool roads.

It became a standing joke at the end to pull up to a crossroads, take only a cursory glance at the map and have everyone pointing up, down, right, left and crossways as if flashing gang signs on what direction we might go. That while toting 16 or so bottles of Kentucky's finest whiskey back to the hotel.

That's what road run memories are made of.
              Last edited by PRG; 06-29-2014, 03:04 PM.
              Cheerio,
              Peter

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                Well howdy Jason,

Thanks and I think you'll discover this to be the core of what the AMCA represents absent of the flinty eyed commerce of swap meets and the apparent angst of judging of late. Blokes (and blokets) reveling in the pure joy of feeling the wind in their faces astride machines often resurrected from moldy plies of inanimate parts now whisking them through tree covered lanes with groups of like minded enthusiasts. Have done many of these over the last 20 years and I'd advocate doing them solo (naturally with your significant other if applicable) just so you can fall in with different riding groups than your familiar squadron from back home if in attendance. That way you are introduced to folks from literally all corners of the globe. Pull up to a rest stop with one group, hang out and then depart with another, the variety is captivating. A group of not more than 5 to 6 running offset staggered seems more relaxing and adept at making the occasional stoplight with less drama. Bear in mind, you may be surrounded by folks who ride thousands of miles a year...but it is not aboard foot clutch hand shift machines and, despite their dismissal of that nuance, it's not the same. Be mindful of those potential rugby scrums where the unwary attempt to deal with decreasing radius up hill tight turns or even traffic lights in town when traveling in larger groups.

I'm just now starting to get my pics from these events online, below is a start....and I might add after attempting to ride with a particularly adept group at KY aboard my beloved Knuckle and coming up frustratingly short in the twisty bits, a Chief - the product of an engineer and an athlete way back when and never losing that tight cohesive feel at the helm - is juuuuust right for W. Va.'s roads.

http://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/AMCA-Road-Runs
                Hi Peter - Now that was some very creative writing that forced my senses to full alert to keep up with it!! Your comment about hooking up with varying groups seems like good advice that I will follow. I'm sure my natural tendency would have been be to stick with the fellows I know and have ridden with. I'll most likely be riding two-up with wife most of the time. I'd guess 60-70% of my time so far on the Chief has been two-up so I have become quite comfortable with the arrangement.

Do you know yet what bike you will be bringing?
                Jason Zerbini
                Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Peter, great pictures and stories, look forward to seeing you at the next run, Larry

Comment

Just a few rooms remain in the host hotel for the Allegheny Mountain Chapter National Road Run in Elkins WV Sept.8-10. If you are planning on attending and want to stay at the host hotel, Holiday Inn Express (1-304-630-2266), I would suggest that you book ASAP. An application is in the May/June issue of the magazine on page 41 and also on our Chapter website amcaamc.org The Elkins area is a great place to ride an old motorcycle and after Labor Day and before the leaves change is the best time because there are fewer people in this wonderful area of the state. Never been on a national Road Run. Give it a try. You will be hooked. I promise. That's how I got hooked along with many if our Chapter Members. Hope to see you...
                    Richard
                    Richard Spagnolli
                    AMCA #6153

Comment

Howdy Jason,

Always take a couple - race horses for courses...especially if one comes up lame enroute.

As route map is sure to include twisties with elevation changes so this Black Shadow is a definite. For more benign motoring days it's a toss up between this Knuckle and Chief.
                      Cheerio,
                      Peter

Comment

While attending the Wauseon National Meet this past weekend, a few people told me that all the rooms at the hotels (host and overflow) for the Road Run in Elkins were booked. I found that hard to believe. Apparently, the reservation people at the hotels were telling the callers that no rooms were available if our Members did not mention AMCA as they were instructed to do. The hotels will now ask the caller if they are reserving a room for the Road Run. If any of you had that experience, please call again. There are just a few rooms left in the host hotel. Please call soon if you want one of those rooms. Please remember the deadline for registering is August 5. Our block of rooms will be released after this date. Thanks for considering the Allegheny Mountain Chapter National Road Run. We look forward to providing a wonderful experience for you and your friends and your family.
                        Richard
                        Richard Spagnolli
                        AMCA #6153

Comment

Referring to: "Bear in mind, you may be surrounded by folks who ride thousands of miles a year...but it is not aboard foot clutch hand shift machines and, despite their dismissal of that nuance, it's not the same. Be mindful of those potential rugby scrums where the unwary attempt to deal with decreasing radius up hill ...."

So...do you think this is too much for a 600cc 1941 Indian Scout? Slow on grades. Top sustained cruise 50 mph. Takes time to down and up shift. Small drum brakes. Of course caution and control are needed. But I don't want to get in the way. THis would be my first AMCA run. Be frank if you think I should wait for something flatter.

Any other slower variety antiques showing?

I did an aerial fly over the routes using Google and indeed there is little traffic (mostly trucks spaced very far apart - it was winter) and plenty of pull aside room to let rear pressure pass. But I could not determine the grades.
                          RGL
                          Ohio
                          Indians

Comment

RGL,
                            I will be riding a 1940 Sport Scout and have several friends bringing Harley 45's. We don't ride fast and you will not get in the way. Granted, there will be a lot of hills but don't worry as most folks don't push there old iron too hard. This would be a great first time to do a road run as this area is beautiful. You can ride the route at your leisure(we don't ride in one big group) and I am sure there will be plenty of slower bikes that you will fall in with.
                            Bob Selph
                            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                            1940 Sport Scout
                            AMCA#15215

Comment

RGL,
                              If your 1941 Scout is in reasonably good operating condition, you should have no problems. Since this is your first AMCA National Road Run, there is no requirement that you keep up with anyone. Although the rides are organized each day with maps and destinations, you are free to ride with friends or by yourself at your own pace. Some ride fast, some slow and others in between. I guarantee you will enjoy the roads and the scenery. You will have at least eight hours to ride 200 miles or less. And you will want to stop along the way several times to enjoy the views. See you in Elkins soon. Thanks for your interest in the Road Run. E mail if you have any further questions: rspagnolli@aol.com
                              Richard
                              Richard Spagnolli
                              AMCA #6153

Comment

Working...
                              X