Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuing "authenticity" of Winners Circle bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing "authenticity" of Winners Circle bikes?

Here is something to consider about keeping long-term 'winners" in the Winners circle:

First, we know that we learn more each year about what the factories actually built, because
    original condition old bikes continue to be found. Our reference material continues to expand,
    and what was considered "authentic" ten, fifteen or twenty years ago, may no longer be so.

The original purpose of the Winners Circle was to showcase bikes that have been judged as
    authentic representations of a particular make, model and year, for reference by future restorers.
    Unfortunately, the years have passed and some of these bikes may now be less than perfect examples
    to be studied by others.

Now, consider this: LIMIT the length of time a bike can be in the Winners Circle to, say, FIVE YEARS,
    at the end of which the bike must be RE-JUDGED to determine its continued status as a Winners Circle
    bike. If it fails the test, it cannot be re-admitted until its problems are corrected.

I bring this up because there is currently a 1960 Triumph Bonneville from Minnesota classed as a
    Winners Circle bike, that has too much chrome and several other problems. Checking its
    judging history it was learned that it was judged three times, all at Viking Chapter meets,
    and on all three occasions, by several of the same judges. It needs to be judged again, and at
    AMCA National Meets held by other chapters.

Also, the judging rules should stipulate that any bike being judged for a National Senior Award
    MUST be judged at three separate meets and not by the same judges, as different judges spot
    different things, as three of us did with the Triumph in question when it appeared at Davenport
    three years ago.

I am interested to learn other judges' opinions on this.

I agree that having a bike judged by the same judges three times is not a good thing. I'm curious if this is a British thing due to lack of judges, as I haven't noticed this with Panheads or Shovels. Perhaps a bike should be required to be judged at more than one location to avoid this problem.
    VPH-D

Comment

I spoke with the new Executive Director at the Denton Meet about this posting and he thought the idea has merit and was going to speak the Don about this. We'll see what comes of it but he seems to be interested in doing what is right for the club.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

There is a Winners Circle 1930 VL that is a really obvious number job.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I believe that the judging manual allows a bike to remain in "Winner's Circle" until the bike deteriorates to 85 pts. So, with that in mind, if re-judged 5 yrs. after restoring your bike, remember, it should be as it got to the end of the manufacturing line, you should not ride and enjoy the bike because it may, and probably would if judged as a "Restored" bike fall below the 95+ pts required to reach "Winner's Circle"? Original paint machines are not deducted for normal wear and tear to my knowledge. How would this be addressed??
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
          X