1982 Harley shovel electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Harley shovel electrics

1982 FXE low rider, shovel, 80" 1340cc. Installed new speedo & tach. No spark when I tried to start. Retraced wiring. Did all checks per Harley shop manual on original electric ignition. Checked out OK. Didn't trust old ig so ordered Dyna ig kit w/mechanical advance. Wiring is original but has never matched any Harley wiring scheme. Has worked up til now. Pink tach wire changes in the harness so it ends up with combo wire at the top of the coil with a yellow & blue which by manual is negative end of coil with two white wires at the other end which should be B+POSITIVE/plug wires are acell 8.8 type; they check correct on ohm meter. I get battery voltage with key on at both ends of the coil. New battery w/full charge almost 12.8V. On cranking I get voltage drop to 9.7V (manual states original unit will fire on 5.5V--enough to fire new dyna ig. Gap on the dyna about 0.035" (specs say between 0.025 & 0.045") I also detached the trigger wire at the tach to see if that was the problem--no result. I have 12V at the wires that are stamped ignition on tach. Blue wires were originally to ground on speedo & tach. Installed new NGK plugs. Dyna ig plate is in the middle of the slots which on the old Harley type is a good place to start for static timing; the magnetic advancer snaps back OK. Blue & white wires from original wiring harness are wired to blue & white dyna ig module. Magnets seem to be strong in the dyna rotor the kill switch checks OK with ohm meter (I'm considering putting in a new one). Coils are also new dynas. I didn't changes the breakers but I have voltage to the coils and lights work OK. I am probably overlooking something. At the end of my rope on this. Appreciate any help. Phone 423-775-0745 if you don't like to type.
Working...
X