piston height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piston height

I have a problem, when I used repop rods and nos pistons together the piston doesn't come to the top of the cylinder. The cylinders are sleeved back to standard size. This is on a 45" motor. What is the fix for this. Those little motors don't have all that much power and don't want to loose more to compression loss.

you are most likely using the early surplus pistons which were low compression (shorter), than later pistons K-type which were taller. Rods should be same length. Older solo motors controlled compression by three different aluminum heads marked 5, 5.5 and 6 with 6 being the highest. Most 1952 and up servicars came with same cast iron head, but they also had several compression ratios. Shelby

Comment

Does anyone know what brand of piston is the tall one? The nos is about .095 short.

Comment

Originally posted by handyman View Post
        Does anyone know what brand of piston is the tall one? The nos is about .095 short.
        V-Twin is listing both pistons the k style has the 1/16th top rings that was used on G, and K from 1952 to 1973, where the WL used 3/32 rings. The catalog is confusing as it may be showing the same pistons with two different ring styles because in the back of classic section it shows piston sets for k models with different part number with -52 style piston pin. I have some originals I will measure and post, the 55 inch K pistons are arc cut for flywheel clearance on bottom. Shelby

Comment

Sorting through a batch of nos and used pistons There was two different pistons in production in 1952 for K and G models, one using the late style pin and -52 spiral retainers and one having the old style pin and -32 c clip, both pistons are the taller version and after 1956 all G motors used the K height with -52 pins, found 4 variations including 1 with 4 ring grooves. G pistons would have part number ending in -29, -29A or 29B, Both -29A and -29B are the tall K style, while the K pistons have part numbers ending in -52 or -54. Hope this helps, Shelby

Comment

pistons

Originally posted by shelbyinparadise View Post
            Sorting through a batch of nos and used pistons There was two different pistons in production in 1952 for K and G models, one using the late style pin and -52 spiral retainers and one having the old style pin and -32 c clip, both pistons are the taller version and after 1956 all G motors used the K height with -52 pins, found 4 variations including 1 with 4 ring grooves. G pistons would have part number ending in -29, -29A or 29B, Both -29A and -29B are the tall K style, while the K pistons have part numbers ending in -52 or -54. Hope this helps, Shelby
            Thanks Shelby, I think I can go with that info.

Comment

Working...
            X